Poor Honnold

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Simkin

Re: Poor Honnold

by Simkin » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:27 am

CClaude wrote:If Simkin is asking an honest question why doesn't Alex Honnold make more money than he does (or for that matter Tommy Caldwell). Its because in the US, fringe sports athletes aren't valued, irregardless of their athletic achievements. Some are actually making good on endorsements, but the vast majority of Americans (sorry for being US-centric) could care less about Alex Honnold or Tommy Caldwell, outside of the 15 min of fame on 60 Minutes or such,. The vast majority of Americans care about Kim Kardasian or some ego-centric pro sport athlete/brat; and without that kind of exposure, the value of sponsorships won't draw that kind of money either.

Finally we stopped debating the virtue of camping in a van at the trail-head by the pit-toilet and started to address the real issue.

So you think the reason is that the American populace will not watch extreme sports if they will be broadcast? The culprit is not with the people who determine what is broadcast? The woman which you mentioned in your posting would not appear on TV 60 years ago. And not because people would not watch, but because of censorship.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Simkin wrote:
CClaude wrote:If Simkin is asking an honest question why doesn't Alex Honnold make more money than he does (or for that matter Tommy Caldwell). Its because in the US, fringe sports athletes aren't valued, irregardless of their athletic achievements. Some are actually making good on endorsements, but the vast majority of Americans (sorry for being US-centric) could care less about Alex Honnold or Tommy Caldwell, outside of the 15 min of fame on 60 Minutes or such,. The vast majority of Americans care about Kim Kardasian or some ego-centric pro sport athlete/brat; and without that kind of exposure, the value of sponsorships won't draw that kind of money either.

Finally we stopped debating the virtue of camping in a van at the trail-head by the pit-toilet and started to address the real issue.

So you think the reason is that the American populace will not watch extreme sports if they will be broadcast? The culprit is not with the people who determine what is broadcast? The woman which you mentioned in your posting would not appear on TV 60 years ago. And not because people would not watch, but because of censorship.

Currently, "Everest" is 52nd for highest grossing films of 2015 and Meru is 138th. I'm surprised Everest isn't higher, a good amount of advertising dollars were spent on that movie but it didn't open in many theaters (545). Meru did not have much advertising and opened in very few theaters (7). By contrast the top 5 grossing films each opened in about 4,100 theaters.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:59 am

Simkin wrote:So you think the reason is that the American populace will not watch extreme sports if they will be broadcast? The culprit is not with the people who determine what is broadcast? The woman which you mentioned in your posting would not appear on TV 60 years ago. And not because people would not watch, but because of censorship.

It's not censorship at all. It's about money. That which brings in the most money wins.
Safe rock climbing is one of the most boring things to watch. Even sitting in El Cap meadows with a pair of binoculars gets old.

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
Alex Wood

Simkin

by Simkin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Bob Burd wrote: It's about money. That which brings in the most money wins.

Of course! And when a bank malinvests it goes bankrupt. Right?

Bob Burd wrote:Safe rock climbing is one of the most boring things to watch. Even sitting in El Cap meadows with a pair of binoculars gets old.

Honnold's films are very interesting to watch. And those who do not like them do this not because they get bored but because they get afraid.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:17 am

Why does Honnold live the way he does? Because he can and he wants to.

If I were good enough to be sponsored, too, you'd better believe I'd happily live out of a van, spend little, and chase the good climbing weather all year long.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Marmaduke

Simkin

by Simkin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Marmaduke wrote:Currently, "Everest" is 52nd for highest grossing films of 2015 and Meru is 138th. I'm surprised Everest isn't higher, a good amount of advertising dollars were spent on that movie but it didn't open in many theaters (545). Meru did not have much advertising and opened in very few theaters (7). By contrast the top 5 grossing films each opened in about 4,100 theaters.

Do you think that if those mountaineering films were not censored by the owners of cinemas and distribution chains they would be as successful as the top grossing movies?

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:29 am

Watching people climb cliffs is boring. Yawn.

The following user would like to thank Woodswalker for this post
lcarreau

brianhughes

by brianhughes » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:21 am

Woodswalker wrote:Watching people climb cliffs is boring. Yawn.

Celebrity Apprentice Cliff-Climbing With the Stars !! Put it on TV and they will watch.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:59 pm

Honnold lives out of his van, spending less than a thousand dollars per month

Shit, when I was his age, I lived out of my VW in Yosemite and spent less than $30 a month

Simkin

by Simkin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:29 pm

brianhughes wrote:Celebrity Apprentice Cliff-Climbing With the Stars !! Put it on TV and they will watch.

Do you think these stars are capable of solo free climbing?

Woodswalker

by Woodswalker » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:00 am

Simkin wrote:
Dave B wrote:I don't want to judge or be a dick, but your worldview seems oddly comfort-centric to be contributing to a mountaineering forum.

Even if I were comfort-centric, as you wrote, this would not be incompatible with mountaineering. It is not acrophobia, right?

Dave B wrote:Anyways, of course you can camp at trail heads. Maybe not major ones in the busiest national parks in the US, but you can certainly camp at many a trail head near many a climbing area.

Honnold's major ascents were at Yosemite and Zion.

Dave B wrote:As far as why don't climbers make more money? Dunno. Don't care. I'm inspired by Alex, Tommy, Renan, Jimmy, Conrad, Cedar, Chris, Aaron, Colin etc etc. for their commitment to the sport. The commitment in the absence of some desire for wealth is what is inspiring.

Why don't care? This great country on God's green earth should reward high-achievers, shouldn't it?

Dave B wrote:Professional climbing would only suffer from NFL/NBA type pay schedules, IMO.

Professional climbers will not agree with you.

What makes you think that individuals are entitled to get money because they are good at their hobby? Most people work for a living.

Simkin

by Simkin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Woodswalker wrote:What makes you think that individuals are entitled to get money because they are good at their hobby? Most people work for a living.

You could bring up the issue of most people working for a living in context of golfer's salaries. But for some reason it only comes up with regard to climbers.

other

by other » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:24 pm

Simkin wrote: So you think the reason is that the American populace will not watch extreme sports if they will be broadcast?

Americans watch the X games but those athletes are not super rich either. We don't watch bicycle racing like Euros do.
Very few athletes are sponsored and less are wealthy.
I happen to enjoy comfort and also enjoy saving my money. If I can score a cheap luxury camping van and had a place to park it at home I'd do it. That only makes sense when you're using it 10+ days a month. Not as great for non road trippers/non dirt bags. For the rest of us its a depreciating asset that requires maintenance, insurance and registration 365 days a year.

The following user would like to thank other for this post
lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:53 pm

Everybody has their own opinion.

Stop acting like cry babbies, and practice a bit of tolerance.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:15 am

Simkin wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:Currently, "Everest" is 52nd for highest grossing films of 2015 and Meru is 138th. I'm surprised Everest isn't higher, a good amount of advertising dollars were spent on that movie but it didn't open in many theaters (545). Meru did not have much advertising and opened in very few theaters (7). By contrast the top 5 grossing films each opened in about 4,100 theaters.

Do you think that if those mountaineering films were not censored by the owners of cinemas and distribution chains they would be as successful as the top grossing movies?

Yes

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander