snow tent stakes

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
brichardsson

snow tent stakes

by brichardsson » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:21 am

I have a 4 season tent that I have already bent four or five of the stakes. I really like the tent and am curious if anyone has a goto winter/snow stake, the lighter the better. I looked through the gear forums, and the last thread I found was almost 5 years old.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

Josh Lewis

Re: snow tent stakes

by Josh Lewis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:01 am

Tis better not to use snow stakes to save weight if you can (I've turned into a lightweight-aholic). Ice axes, screws, trekking poles, or whatever it takes. If non exist, I bury my sleeping bag stuff sack full of snow (X2 if two people) and compress it. However if your tent requires a lot of stake points and you don't have enough gear, then I suppose stakes make sense. :wink:

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:32 pm

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:14 pm

+1 for the parachute style snow stakes and + 1 for using other items. I have a set of the parachute stakes made by Mountain Hardware and they work better than any stake style stake in snow. I also try to avoid taking the snow stakes and will use skis/pickets/ice tools/trekking poles preferably, but sometimes I need to leave a tent standing and take the above stuff with me for the summit attempt, in which case the parachute style stakes are the way to go.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:16 pm

+1 for using ice axes, stuff sacks, etc. as snow anchors, or fabric snow anchors if you have them (my VE25 came with them and I use them in snow and sand). If using metal stakes, DAC J stakes don't seem to bend easily. A nice feature is that they are slightly incut in the middle to make it easier to secure a line to them when you are burying them in snow.

no avatar
JD

by JD » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 pm

Skis, poles, ice axe, etc... otherwise the old fashioned snow stakes placed sideways and buried. Sometimes I just collapse the tent and pile some snow on top if I leave it for the day.

The aluminum stakes bend if you pound on them. Either don't pound on them or replace them periodically.

Even though they have better holding strength in powdery snow I've shied away from the fabric style because they look like they'd be a PITA to dig out once the snow has frozen rock hard. They aren't necessarily lighter either. That REI one weighs about as much as three regular stakes. They'd be the ticket for beach camping though.

brichardsson

by brichardsson » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:11 pm

yah josh, i'm a lightweight-aholic. what i am currently thinking is replacing them all with carbon fiber stakes from msr and deadmanning them in the snow. if i replace all the stakes i can shave off 6 ounces of the trail weight (.7 oz v .2 oz x 12) and my total trail weight will be 5 lbs 5 oz for a two man 4-season tent. i've been really happy with the tent so far, but the stakes are shite.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

no avatar
Migolito

by Migolito » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:51 pm

The following user would like to thank Migolito for this post
brichardsson

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:14 am

http://www.backcountrygear.com/smc-perforated-snow-stake.html?gclid=CPn0nPSRnMwCFU0vgQodHM8Icg

This is what I use. Drive'em endwise into hard snow. Cut a trench and use'em as a deadman in softer stuff. If possible, minimize the number of stake out points. Why stake four tent corners when the poles naturally push them out and you can tie out four corners of the fly.

norco17

by norco17 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:17 am

DukeJH wrote:http://www.backcountrygear.com/smc-perforated-snow-stake.html?gclid=CPn0nPSRnMwCFU0vgQodHM8Icg

This is what I use. Drive'em endwise into hard snow. Cut a trench and use'em as a deadman in softer stuff. If possible, minimize the number of stake out points. Why stake four tent corners when the poles naturally push them out and you can tie out four corners of the fly.

This. Plus ice ax, snow shoes...

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:29 am

+1 for the parachute-style. Carry 4-6 on every winter trip, use other stuff as needed for additional/temporary anchors.

Return to Gear