Mens Softshell Pants Recommendations

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
ExcitableBoy

Re: Mens Softshell Pants Recommendations

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:18 pm

I just gave away my hardshell pants. I found that softshells work better than hard shell pants for most conditions. I have never, ever needed both softshells and hardshells. Why bring two pais of pants?

shadowfire

by shadowfire » Fri May 27, 2016 11:18 am

Bump on an old thread, but are there any new alpine softshell pants you can recommend nowadays?
I'm checking out the Patagonia Dual Point pants now, which seems to look ok, but seem to lack crampon protection. Any other options I should consider?
For cold weather/snow, 6000-8000m peaks, and not for hardcore ice climbing.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri May 27, 2016 3:57 pm

NW Alpine Light and Fast pants are a cult favorite here in the PNW. For cold weather their salopettes are well thought of.

beean

by beean » Sat May 28, 2016 12:15 am

Yeah the pradagucci dual points are great, do the trick for skiing and climbing. Probably find some cheaper options though.

Crampon patches don't seem to do much. If you put a hole in your pants, and you will, fix it with some seam grip. You'll look more hardcore anyway.

outdoorabstract

by outdoorabstract » Sat May 28, 2016 1:34 am

I like my stuff to fit really well and I try to support the little guys. I have used Lou for lots of garments and he can make anything.
http://foxwear.net

shadowfire

by shadowfire » Tue May 31, 2016 1:59 pm

How about midweight vs lightweight?
Would you consider a lightweight softshell + base layer (and maybe puffy) for colder expeditions?

shadowfire

by shadowfire » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:49 am

beean wrote:Yeah the pradagucci dual points are great, do the trick for skiing and climbing. Probably find some cheaper options though.

Crampon patches don't seem to do much. If you put a hole in your pants, and you will, fix it with some seam grip. You'll look more hardcore anyway.

Haha, it took me ONE day with the new dual point alpines to puncture the friggin leg (two days ago). Was standing in a narrow crevasse and had to little space to move the crampons, so pants are already punctured. No idea if crampon patches on the legs would have helped me.

Previous

Return to Gear