Zugspitze - Reintal Route - Münchner Haus

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
AdamW

Zugspitze - Reintal Route - Münchner Haus

by AdamW » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:30 am

Hello,

I'm planning to climb Zugspitze next month via the Reintal route. As the two huts on this route are fully booked up, I'm hoping to stay on the top at the Münchner Haus.

I had a few questions I hoped someone with knowledge might be able to answer? Namely:

- How easy/likely is it that you can stay at the top? I know they don't take reservations on weekends. I'm relying on staying here, or arriving in time to take the train/cable car down.

- What kind of equipment is best for the Reintal route? I'm just taking the basics as I'm not a proper climber. Hoping good walking shoes and trousers should do. Would I need more?

- How quick can you make it to the top? I've read it takes 11 hours, but I'd like to do it in a shorter time.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Adam

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Zugspitze - Reintal Route - Münchner Haus

by rgg » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:08 am

I can say little about sleeping in the Münchner Haus. After ascending the Zugspitze by the Höllental route I passed by in 2007 and didn't find the atmosphere inviting. Perhaps all the hustle and bustle on the viewing terrace next to the summit had something to do with that; it was a far cry from a normal relaxed mountain setting. The hut itself was virtually empty. It was sometime during the afternoon, so I took that as a sign that there would be plenty of room to stay if I wanted to. I didn't do that though, I descended to the Knorrhütte.

The only reservation I recall that I had was for the Höllentalhütte, on the night before climbing the Zugspitze. It's been a while, but I don't remember having any other reservation. I usually turn up unannounced, unless I expect to arrive at a popular hut really late. Arriving unannounced but with enough daylight left means I can keep going if the hut is completely full. And even a fully booked hut might get a late cancellation or a no show, which means a few unannounced guests can stay. If not, well, I'll keep going until I find a place. Almost always I find that the next hut along the way has room for one more. I never had to resort to an unplanned bivvy. Still, if you do things like I do, it's best to have a headlamp and, just in case, a bivvy bag. As I said, I never did an unplanned bivvy - only a few planned ones - but it's a good safety measure to have one.

How long it takes to summit along the Reintal route I couldn't say. It was only my descent route, and only as far as the Bockhütte - from there I went up again, ending the day at the Meilerhütte. A very quiet hut when I visited. As far as equipment is concerned, hiking gear is fine. The final few hundred meters of the route requires the occasional use of hands, so I wouldn't call it hiking anymore, but it's still so easy that I find it an exaggeration to call it climbing.

The Knorrhütte as seen on the descent from the Zugspitze

P.S. If you go up the Reintal with the intention of staying at the Münchner Haus, you'll obviously pass the Knorrhütte. At that time you can ask the hut staff if they have a place at the hut for you that night. They might have had a late cancellation. If so, you don't have to worry anymore. Alternatively, you can ask the staff if they know about your chances of staying at the Münchner Haus.

no avatar
AdamW

by AdamW » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:09 am

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a good plan. I don't have a bivvy so relying on a hutte or catching the last train/cable car! Nice picture.

Adam

selinunte01

by selinunte01 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:18 am

Hi AdamW

Münchner Haus offers only 27 sleeping posts so try to book your stay there in advance (Email or phone). I always found it nice up there - after the last cablecar leaves the summit its getting calm, familiar and quiet up there. If you are lucky: sunsets and sunrises are spectacular.
As to the route: it is a very, very long approach! You need 9 - 11 hours and a good stamina as you have to overcome an altitude difference of 2200 m / 7200 ft from Garmisch/trailhead to the top. The last hour of this route is sort of annoying and exhausting as you have to climb up from Schneefernerhaus to the top without a good marked trail.

Alternatives are Höllental route (via ferrata and a small glacier! - demanding!) or the route from Ehrwald via Wiener Neustädter Hütte ("Stöpselzieher route", short via ferrata part).

Cheers, Michael

no avatar
AdamW

by AdamW » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi Michael,

I will be climbing on the weekend and I read the Münchner Haus doesn't accept reservations for then?

Thanks for your helpful advice.

Adam

Return to Europe