Wildcat RT from the ski area parking lot?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
jludman

Wildcat RT from the ski area parking lot?

by jludman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm trying to pick a round trip route up the wildcats that avoids too many prolonged "very rough and steep" sections. Cori and I did King Ravine up Adams last weekend, and while the views were awesome it was a little stressful.

The alltrails.com map shows a much more even route up starting at the ski area with no name. I assume this is the route referred to in trip reports as "Wildcat Ski Area Trails". Is it fairly easy to follow, and OK for dogs (private property, so I guess they could turn me away...).

TIA.

nartreb

Re: Wildcat RT from the ski area parking lot?

by nartreb » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:52 am

There are no prolonged steeps on any of the regular routes up Wildcat.

King Ravine is in the top ten or twenty sustained-and-steep trails in the Whites, would not be my first choice if you or your dog don't like steep stuff. For future reference, Air Line is a good alternative - great views, same overall gain but generally easier as you don't go straight up the ravine headwall.

I don't have a map in front of me, but it's common to hike up the Wildcat ski trails (Polecat, the green-dot run, is the usual recommendation). In winter there's a designated route and they require purchase of a "trail pass". Not sure what their dog policy is, call them.

Your other options are via Carter Notch (nineteen mile brook trail is a very gentle grade; you then have a short but remarkable climb out of the notch), or from the Glen Ellis trailhead (some open ledges, one particular spot that's a little airy but has great footing in summer). A traverse over these (I'd go northbound) would be a fine hike if you can arrange a ride.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)