Presi Traverse

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
beaudittl

Presi Traverse

by beaudittl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 am

Hey all. I have some questions about the Presi Traverse. Headed northbound, I have the trails down until I summit Washington. After that, I would like to be able to hit Jefferson, Adams, and Madison. With that said, what trails do I take from the summit of Washington? I'm not from the area and all the reading I've done has just confused me so please no links saying "this should help". Thanks for any info. Happy trails!
Last edited by beaudittl on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:39 am

Study a trail map! And don't forget to bring it and a compass on your hike.

beaudittl

by beaudittl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:47 am

I don't have a map. I'm just trying to get a general idea for future planning.

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:14 am

Dude, this is easy. As soon as you get a map your route will be obvious!

Catskillhiker

by Catskillhiker » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:34 am

maybe a weather raid would be in store as well, mt. Washington does have the wind record for the USA, well over 200 mph,

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Yo, Beau...check this out: http://chauvinguides.com/PresiTraverse/presiguide.htm

It's regarding a winter traverse, but most/all the trails will be the same and there are PDF topos on the Route page, along with long/lat coords for trail juntions and waypoints. (This was one of the key planning resources for our successful winter Presi Traverse last month.)

Have fun.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Catamount wrote:The trails are confusing as all holy hell so pay attention to your map and read the trail signs.

+1

That's one place you don't want to get lost at!

beaudittl

by beaudittl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Catamount wrote:I'm not a big fan of the trail system in the Presidentials largely just because it's so damn confusing. I mean, how many trails do you really need? But in a nutshell, to get from Washington to Madison, you will be following the Appalachian Trail (AKA the Gulfside Trail in that section). As you approach Mount Jefferson, you will need to detour briefly off of the AT as it bypasses the summit. Same deal with Mount Adams. The loops on both Jefferson and Adams lead back to The Gulfside Trail in fairly quick order (less than a mile) and the Appalachian Trail leads over the summit of Madison. From there, you have plenty of options for your ending point. The trails are confusing as all holy hell so pay attention to your map and read the trail signs. I got briefly confused myself when doing a one-day traverse after summitting Adams going northbound and my partner wound up setting us straight.

And FWIW, the northern section of the Presidentials is basically regarded as the "tough" part of the Presidential Traverse. Don't know if you are trying to dayhike it, but most one day attempts go north-to-south. Having said all that, it is a classic hike ... just about the best the Northeast has to offer. Have a blast - it's hard not to.

This was just what I needed, thanks a lot. Maybe I'll see you in the mountains. Happy trails.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:34 am

One small point of clarification to Catamount's otherwise great summary - the portion of the AT known as the Gulfside Trail actually ends at Madison Hut, which is located in the saddle between Adams and Madison. From there to the summit of Madison you need to follow the Osgood Trail. It is also part of the AT but the signs won't always tell you that. From Madison, if your final destination is the Appalachia parking lot, you can do one of 3 things: 1) take the Watson Path down to its junction with the Valley Way and then the Valley Way down to the parking lot (rougher with lots of boulder-hopping, but more scenic, takes you past a nice waterfall); 2) Go back to Madison Hut and take the Valley Way all the way down from there (easier on the knees and possibly faster, but less interesting, plus you're backtracking), or 3) Take the Watson path not all the way but to the Pine Link, which traverses the west side of Madison and takes you back to Madison Hut (less boulder hopping that option 1, more interesting than option 2 but somewhat longer). As others have said it does help to study a map. Good luck.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)