Proof of past climbing experience.....

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:05 am

I've never heard of this before unless it's a requirement of a guiding company. As far as I know you fill out the permit, pay your money and your good to go. They do ask for your climbing experience on the permit for Denali but you just list the mountains you've climbed.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:43 am

If so, that's a new requirement (since 2001). They didn't ask us anything. They went over some of the rules (pack out your trash) and took our money.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:52 am

I'll third what Brad and Mcconnel said. No one asked me jack, and I was solo as well.

William Marler

by William Marler » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:46 pm

Adventurer has it right. Guiding service will just want to know your previous experience. The permit office will ask you on the application form what other mountains you have climbed. This will help them guage everyones abilities. They will not hold it against you if your experience is limited. For a lot of people it is their first big mountain.

Back in the 80s you used to have to bring a doctors letter and a printout from a ECG to the permit office. The thinking was I guess that the applicant had had a checkup and hopefully their doctor had discouraged anyone with health issues. I say that because they never read the letters (most could not read languages other than Spanish) or even looked at the ECG readout. They don't ask for this anymore. Guiding services however may ask for a doctors note.

Return to South America