Question On A Camp Caribiner

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Patrick B

Question On A Camp Caribiner

by Patrick B » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:23 pm

I bought a Camp caribiner in July and havn't used it much other than for body weight only. It's rated at 22kn, but when I use it to just hang I've found that the gate won't open. I've tried this with others, but they'll open easily. This one, with enough weight (like 120 lbs.), won't open. I've been avoiding using it other than for my chalk bag. I'm sceptacle of using it for anything else. If wanted to use for belaying or for pro, should I?

Autoxfil

Re: Question On A Camp Caribiner

by Autoxfil » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Are you comparing it to other identical 'biners, or different makes and models? It's totally possible that it's fine either way - how much slack does the gate have when un-loaded? Less than other similar biners? What happens if you hang on it with the gate open?

If you have questions about it, mail it to CAMP and have them check it out. It'll cost you as much as buying a new 'biner, but odds are they will send you a new one.

If you're lazier, just break the gate out with a prybar and toss in the garbage. Buy a new biner and stop worrying. If they were $50 it would be one thing, but as cheap as they are - why wonder?

drpw

by drpw » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 pm

through some orange duct tape around it to make sure you know it's a questionable crab and now you have a perfect biner to use with your shoes, water bottle, or whatever. and, even with the gate anomaly, you can still most probably use it safely as a through away rap biner if the need should arise.

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:23 pm

The gate on carabiners is supposed to engage when loaded. This prevents the gate from snapping open during a fall, AKA "gate flutter."

It's unusual that it occurs under bodyweight - I've never had that happen to me on any biner I've owned. You should probably call Camp and just ask them directly. Why are you asking a bunch of (realistically speaking) unqualified internet people?

lost_in_nj

by lost_in_nj » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:31 pm

Well, to pass UIAA certification a carabiner gate is supposed to remain functional up to a load of 1kN. So with the 120lbs you mentioned the gate should have opened easily. Sounds like a dodgy piece of gear to me.

Return to Gear