Recommendation - Hierarchy for Peaks and Routes Completed

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
PellucidWombat

Recommendation - Hierarchy for Peaks and Routes Completed

by PellucidWombat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Now that I'm signing more routes, it's been annoying to see them all listed disconnected from a peak. It would be nice to have them as "children" to a signed peak (successful or not), so that, say, you could see that a climber has done Mt. Whitney, and then expand the peak to see that they have done the Mountaineer's route, E Buttress, etc. on it.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Are any of these new suggestions possible? Or all we all just wishing?

I've thought it would be a good idea to be able to sign lists, like we can other objects, but have assumed that any kind of change isn't possible.

Have there been any since v2?

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:15 pm

You know, on the one hand it's neat in an ironic way that the site founders just created this site, dumped it in the middle of nowhere with no food, water or shelter, and left it for us (users, Elves, contributors, community, etc.) to just do with as we please.

The flip side of this "freedom," though, is an outdated, static tool that never evolves to meet dynamic user needs. I've been in and around the software industry for over a decade now. I have a list in my head of really cool, dynamic, modern, user-friendly updates for the SP system. But I'm sadly convinced that this site's technology (and hence the communit built around it!) will never live up to its full potential.

Also, as the result of the founders' complete disinterest in upgrading and proactively managing this sytem, I have a fear one of two courses of action will occur eventually:

* Either one of these days the founders are just going to, suddenly and without explanation, pull the plug. (That's right - we all sit down to login and check "What's New" only to meet the dreaded "404 Error.")

* Or, alternatively, I see the site being sold to another interest. Who knows what this would be: REI, a university, a private individual, I have no eartly idea... But the resulting change (some good, some bad) will cause a major disruption in the community.

For the time being, I am just going to roll with the status quo: Plenty of "Wild West" freedom, but in a kludgy, bland, outdated, user-unfriendly environment. It would be nice, however, to have a stronger, dynamic, updated tool and somewhat more responsive and committed management (not referring here to administration (elves) but owner/managers.)

We've got a great thing going here on SP, but it's sad to sit back and imagine all of the missed potential.

</rant>

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm missing something. I'm not interested to see the list of the routes completed by John Doe; I am interested to see the comments on a route, particularly from people who've recently tried (which may be in register, as well as the comment section). We have the latter capability right now.

If anything, I'd like to see the search options strengthened a little more, so it isn't quite so hard to look for repeated topics in the forums. Now I just use google for that.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:35 pm

sarah.simon wrote:You know, on the one hand it's neat in an ironic way that the site founders just created this site, dumped it in the middle of nowhere with no food, water or shelter, and left it for us (users, Elves, contributors, community, etc.) to just do with as we please.

The flip side of this "freedom," though, is an outdated, static tool that never evolves to meet dynamic user needs. I've been in and around the software industry for over a decade now. I have a list in my head of really cool, dynamic, modern, user-friendly updates for the SP system. But I'm sadly convinced that this site's technology (and hence the communit built around it!) will never live up to its full potential.

Also, as the result of the founders' complete disinterest in upgrading and proactively managing this sytem, I have a fear one of two courses of action will occur eventually:

* Either one of these days the founders are just going to, suddenly and without explanation, pull the plug. (That's right - we all sit down to login and check "What's New" only to meet the dreaded "404 Error.")

* Or, alternatively, I see the site being sold to another interest. Who knows what this would be: REI, a university, a private individual, I have no eartly idea... But the resulting change (some good, some bad) will cause a major disruption in the community.

For the time being, I am just going to roll with the status quo: Plenty of "Wild West" freedom, but in a kludgy, bland, outdated, user-unfriendly environment. It would be nice, however, to have a stronger, dynamic, updated tool and somewhat more responsive and committed management (not referring here to administration (elves) but owner/managers.)

We've got a great thing going here on SP, but it's sad to sit back and imagine all of the missed potential.

</rant>

I wouldn't call it user-unfriendly. Sure there are lots of things we can't do, but I can make a mountain page or trip report page that looks like I knew what I was doing - and I don't know squat about HTML! I don't see the pages as all that bland either - they don't jump around or do other fancy bullshit, but they are graphically fairly decent and present the information in an organized fashion. We may not have the latest tools here, but we've got some damn good ones.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:19 pm

So what I am gathering is, that all these requests for changes and new features ARE just wishing. That they will not affect anything.

So it seems to me the purpose of site feedback is not
Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

But rather...
Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's policies and procedures.

Sorry. I don't know how to do strikethrough on this!

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:37 pm

mrchad9 wrote:So what I am gathering is, that all these requests for changes and new features ARE just wishing. That they will not affect anything.

So it seems to me the purpose of site feedback is not

But rather...
Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's policies and procedures.

Sorry. I don't know how to do strikethrough on this!

True. Suggestions or wishes to update or add to this site surface from time to time. But it won't happen. So it's worthless to complain about it. Nobody actively involved today with SP seems to have the access to the source code to do all that. So, we just have to face it and live with what we have now.
Although I also often wish there are more and new features, I am quite happy with what I can do here now. If somebody really is unsatisfied, she/he has to make their own site :)

Sarah is right though. It could end any minute without any warning :(

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:39 pm

Some bugs have been addressed -- specifically those that result as unintended consequences of system tweaks and movement across servers. E.g. some bugs involved problems with posting pictures, and in the search engines.

Return to Site Feedback