Rhyang

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:49 am

Thanks everyone ! I had a most excellent thanksgiving day :D

Jeff, my titanium forging facility seems to be on the blink ;) so I guess I'll just put the ring / pins aside for now ...

yiyang wrote:I see spikes in the halo... what do they do?

The 'spikes' are actually called pins. They are set in against (but not through) the bone of the skull, penetrating the skin. To prevent infection, the 'pin sites' where they enter the skin have to be cleaned several times a day with a combination of solutions. The halo ring and vest immobilizes the cervical spine to keep the bones from moving while it heals. I wore this thing for 3 months, but I've heard of people being in them for up to 4.5 months.

Some people might find this pic a little gross, so I'll just link to it. Don't look if the sight of an open wound makes you sick ... you have been warned :!:

The people I've met who have had halos all had 'pin scars' - slight depressions in their foreheads where the skin has grown over the holes where the pins were installed.

Dragger

by Dragger » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:01 am

Rob! So good to talk to you yesterday and say "hi" to Dan too -- what wonderful news to hear that you finally got rid of that PITA halo. Now that you have pin scars... do we get to test out some offset Aliens in them? :shock: :wink:

Hope you and Kris and all had a great time today.

Happy GOBBLE GOBBLE and lots of love!!!

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:00 pm

Thanks Carolyn - what would I do without my dear friends ?? :) Had a good time yesterday, and I helped spread the Good News of the Holy Camelid :twisted: :lol: (ask Kris :) )

edit: I received a msg from my sister - apparently Yiyang is a distant relative of mine over in China ! Welcome to Summitpost Yiyang !! :D I sent you a PM :)

Gareth

by Gareth » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:55 pm

Great news Rob!!! :D

You've come a long way after sustaining a very scary injury.

If you can figure out how to scan those images some time, I'd love to see them. Just PM me, and I'll give you my email address.

b_betts

by b_betts » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:09 pm

Great work Rob!! Can I expect to see you at PG soon then?? :)

Deb

by Deb » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Keep on chuggin' Rob. You're a great inspiration!

rhyang

by rhyang » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:34 pm

Thanks again all :D

Gareth - the funny thing is that Valley Medical in SJC failed to include a sagittal reconstructed view (I think I have that right :oops: ) with the films, and we had to go across town from Dr. Martinez' office in Modesto to Memorial hospital and use their radiology dept. to get some x-rays of my neck in different positions (after they undid the carbon fiber halo support bars). I'm still trying to figure out how to get those huge films into my letter-sized flatbed scanner, but I'll come up with something ...

Buddy - no PG for me until next August at the earliest, but I'll be hiking until then. In late Feb I may be allowed to go cycling again. I'm looking at a recumbent trike or something like that for a while. Seems like a few people have told me about getting a halo because of MTB accidents :shock:

Deb - I wish I could say I was inspiring as the people I've met at the spinal cord injury peer support group I go to ... people in wheelchairs who probably will never walk again but nevertheless go on with their lives and make them work. I never knew about wheelchair skiing, scuba, or skateboarding (!) before this.

I guess no climbing for 12 mos. post injury is probably just as well ... by then I should have a pretty good idea how my body is compensating for the neurological damage. Apparently the muscle fibers which are still innervated grow stronger while the ones which are not shrivel, and peripheral nerves can regrow and rewire. Swelling in the spinal cord can apparently take up to 2 years to go down, and in that time function can also return. Or so I'm told :)

Vladislav

by Vladislav » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Rob,
Congrats on having the thing off! I am sure you feel a whole lot better without it.
I just found out about it. I had a really tough month at work. Even no time for SP :shock:
Cheers!
Vlad.

travelin_light

by travelin_light » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:00 pm

Glad to see you moving into the next stage of healing and getting that thing off your noggin!

Blair

by Blair » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:07 pm

You will be back B4 you know it Rob!

As Deb said, youre quite a inspiration man, I wish you nothing but the best to your rapid recovery. Just ease yourself off the Llamas :wink: :wink:

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:34 pm

Thanks guys :)

Hey, anybody want to go hiking this weekend ? I managed to drag my sorry butt up to the top of St. Joseph's Hill last week. With the deproach between the bus stop and the trailhead on the Los Gatos Creek Trail I'd guess it was about 9-10 miles / 900' elevation gain. Hoping to procure a new set of wheels in January maybe.

Dragger

by Dragger » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Hey guys, this is great! Did you miss it? ROB IS LOOKING FOR A HIKING PARTNER!!!!

What a great day! I'm sure someone would like to go, Rob. Heck, I would -- too bad you're so far away. :?

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:24 pm

I am not sure if this is the place for this, but this may just be your new favorite movie Rob. Note the floating Llama coffin.

www.badmovies.org/movies/bloodllama/

Don't ask why I was on this site. There are plenty of gems. Rocking With Satan is one of my favorites.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:06 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:I am not sure if this is the place for this, but this may just be your new favorite movie Rob. Note the floating Llama coffin.

www.badmovies.org/movies/bloodllama/

Don't ask why I was on this site. There are plenty of gems. Rocking With Satan is one of my favorites.

Oh, I have a pretty good idea why ... :lol:

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:39 pm

Now that is a scary llama :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to California