Ritter Pass to Foerster Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
snowblind

Ritter Pass to Foerster Peak

by snowblind » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:18 am

I am going to the be at Ediza Lake climbing Banner/Ritter later this month and would like to head over Ritter Pass then to Foerster. Anyone know how the route is? Better to take Glacier Pass?

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I've been up the East side of Ritter/Banner pass to climb Banner, and from what I could tell the backside wasn't any more difficult than the Lake Ediza side, in fact it looked easier. Maybe somebody who has actually been up/down that side can confirm.

I would say Glacier Pass would probably be easier to backpack over. Plus, you could still climb Ritter/Banner from the backside. You might miss out on Lake Ediza, but you'll gain 1000 island lake in its place?

It's a beautiful area, so you'll probably be pretty happy regardless of which route you choose.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:42 pm

I'd be interested to hear what you end up doing, and your thoughts on route choice. I may be doing a similar trip out later this year to Foerster/Electra. I've been to Catherine via Glacier Pass, to climb Banner and Davis. Piece of cake. Sorry I don't have more info.

snowblind

by snowblind » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:36 am

I have done Glacier Pass several times and wanted to avoid 1000 Island. I know the west side of Ritter Pass is not too bad, however, I am having a bit of a hard time reading the topo nuances to Foerster. I would like to avoid a major elevation drop en route to Foerster.

SJD

by SJD » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:48 am

If you're climbing Ritter/Banner why not just continue on to Lake Catherine and on from there? Seems like a long detour to head back over to Ritter Pass.

snowblind

by snowblind » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:17 am

I am climbing them from the southeast.

SJD

by SJD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:12 am

Right - I wasn't too clear. My point was if starting from Ediza, then ascending the notch between Banner and Ritter (and climb either or both) then continue onto the other side of the notch onto Lake Catherine and down Ritter lakes and so forth. The topos seem to indicate less elevation change and certainly less mileage. YMMV.

Out of curiosity I had a look at the route(s) via Google Earth. If you haven't already done so perhaps that would help. Either way, looks like a great trip - hope you post some pics afterwards.

Return to California