Rock Quality on Il. Norte?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Alpinechallenges

Rock Quality on Il. Norte?

by Alpinechallenges » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:49 pm

Also, can anyone tell me what the quality of rock is on Illiniza Norte? is it pretty loose? does it take gear? If we were to try something other than the 5.3 walk up are we going to find good pro? from pictures it looks pretty chausy, but thought I would check and see what people have to say about it.

Thanks,

Michael

Sara_Matisse

by Sara_Matisse » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:54 pm

When I was there we talked to many people about the rock quality on both of the Illinizas. They said the rock was relatively good on the route, but when it comes to getting of route - not so much. I am sure that could be true pretty much about everywhere.

We climbed El Corazon while there which is a peak on the same side of the valley and had some rock on it. The quality was mixed and some sort of volcanic as most rock around there probably is :D

Don't know if this will help - but they looked like super fun and slightly technical peaks. I want to go back and do them myself :D

Good luck and have fun! Ecuador rocks!

Return to South America