Route opinions wanted: Palisade Basin and Chimney Pass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
sctbke

Route opinions wanted: Palisade Basin and Chimney Pass

by sctbke » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:22 pm

I'm curious on the feasibility of combining the 'Palisade Traverse' (Thunderbolt -> Sill) and Middle Palisade in a multi-night trip from South Lake. I was originally planning on doing M. Palisade and the Palisade Traverse in two separate expeditions from Glacier Lodge, but it looks like this might not be the best option. Hiking up both the south and north forks of Big Pine Creek consecutively seems like a lot!

My idea instead is to start from the South Lake trailhead, head up and over Bishop and Thunderbolt Passes, and set up camp in Palisade Basin more toward the south side and potluck pass.

Then, day hike M. Palisade via Cirque Pass or Chimney Pass? I have not found much info on these passes and if they can be connected with M. Palisade without descending all the way to the JMT. Anyone out there have photos or other info on this area? Chimney Pass is the most direct and seems to be most likely to succeed, the RT mileage for that day would be 6-8 miles which seems very manageable even if encountering extra unexpected high class terrain. Assuming it's navigable at all, that is! Google Earth 3D imaging looks reasonable but that only shows so much. Drawn Below
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 12.39.47 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 12.39.47 PM.jpg (298.38 KiB) Viewed 2263 times

Then the next day would begin with ascending Thunderbolt's SW couloir, traversing along to Sill, and descending either the SW face of Sill to Potluck Pass back to camp, or returning from Sill to Polemonuim, and descending/rappelling U-notch into Palisade Basin. Much more info is available on that part of the route.

Trip is scheduled for late June/early July, goal is to finish the Cali 14ers, not as a speed record by any means, but at least relatively efficiently. Any relevant info appreciated. Thanks!

Romain

Re: Route opinions wanted: Palisade Basin and Chimney Pass

by Romain » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:00 pm

Your plan via Chimney Pass sounds feasible. The main cost of that plan is that you would climb Middle Pal from the West, which is supposed to be very loose and class 4. And you would forego the NE Face route, which is a cool route.

This picture shows the western side of the Palisades from the JMT just North of Mather Pass, above Palisades Lakes. If you zoom in you can see Sill and Chimney Pass (in direct line with North Pal):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DhUpDECVJWvuoQSr8

This was in June of a normal snow year (2018) and shows the terrain you'd be traveling.

The following user would like to thank Romain for this post
sctbke

no avatar
sctbke

by sctbke » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:33 pm

This is incredible info, thanks! Your photo nailed the entire route I wasn't sure about :)

I'm am not sure how I feel about the loose on the West side of M palisade. I've done worse, but I'd hate to pass up the NE face route if it's that good! It seems like I could also do the west side, NE face as a day hike from the Pothole Pass camp via Scimitar Pass with similar vertical gain/loss. Or that begs the question: Do I hike in from Big Pine TH (I already have permits from that side), do M Palisade, and then hike over Scimitar and exit at South Lake?

I'll think on that one. Seems like I've got some good route options. Feel free to throw more thoughts my way.
Scott

Romain

by Romain » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:57 am

That latter plan sounds better if you have a good way to get back to your car at Glacier Lodge after you're done. I've not been over Scimitar, so I can't comment on that. Then you can do the Palisade traverse in reverse starting on Sill and finishing on TBolt.

Return to California