Saintgrizzly, R.I.P.

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
T Sharp

Re: Saintgrizzly, R.I.P.

by T Sharp » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:36 am

Well the arrangements have been completed. On Tuesday March 8, 2011 at 2:00pm at the Garden City Funeral Home, Missoula, MT 59802, a Memorial Service will be held for our friend Vernon. The full obituary should available on Saturday 3/5, or Sunday 3/6 at missoulian.com.
Vernon would be especially Honored by the heartfelt tribute given by the Summitpost community in this forum.

The following user would like to thank T Sharp for this post
Arthur Digbee

no avatar
ZeljkoSubotica

by ZeljkoSubotica » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:14 pm

rip

FlatheadNative

by FlatheadNative » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:26 am

There have been many posts about the quality of man that Vernon was. He left behind a legacy of words and photos that now will serve as a living memorial here on SummitPost. I think this is fitting as he was truly burned with passion about the place that I and countless others care for deeply as well.

I had the opportunity to meet Vernon in Missoula in the spring of 2010. At that time he was so hopeful to be able to come to Glacier again and climb. I regret that he did not get to fulfill that dream. It would have been an honor to climb with him. He truly was a kind hearted man who was extremely passionate about life.

Vernon was gracious and welcoming when I started posting new peaks and routes in Glacier. He was always willing to make a suggestion and offer solutions as well as received recommendations that I made for our collaborated page on Mount Grinnell. He represented everyhtning that is good about this community.

Thank you SaintGrizzly ...

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:48 am

I feel a little strange about leaving this message to you. I never knew you, I didn' know your friends and we never spoke via this site. But in the short time I've been a part of SP, my appreciation for the wilderness and the mountains, there's a family here and to a small extent I feel I knew you. The mountains bring out all the best in us and I can tell that you were the very best. My heart truly goes out to you SG, to your family, friends and hiking buddies. I can see the impact you have left and that is special. Troy

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:41 am

The Missoulian published a nice article on our friend Vernon Garner aka Saintgrizzly on Memorial Day!
Here

The following user would like to thank T Sharp for this post
Aaron Johnson, Arthur Digbee, Bob Sihler, Castlereagh, inconsolable, MarkDidier, Sarah Simon

silversummit

by silversummit » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:32 pm

What a nice tribute to Saintgrizzly (and SP) from his community. I think small cities/towns like Missoula sometimes get things right!

The following user would like to thank silversummit for this post
T Sharp

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:22 pm

T Sharp, whenever I feel down about the SP community due to some periodic outbreak of petty arguing (in the forums or on an article/trip report) or whatever, I will turn to that uplifting article about Vernon and his commitment to this special place (SP) in the cybercloud.

Thank you for sharing.
Go climb a mountain

The following user would like to thank Sarah Simon for this post
inconsolable, Josh Lewis, T Sharp

Previous

Return to General