San Diego? Me?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
moonspots

San Diego? Me?

by moonspots » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 am

Looks like I might be forced to take a week long trip to San Diego in March sometime.

8)

You'd think they would sooner or later figure out that I'm one of the old dogs, and they should be sending the young guys on these excursions.

So anyway, I've never been there, what's to do, what's to see? Yeah ok, I know, that's a REAL open-ended question, but I gotta start somewhere...

JasonH

by JasonH » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:35 am

Oh, you poor thing. :lol:

no avatar
LionIndex

by LionIndex » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:46 am

That's an excellent time of year to do anything in San Diego other than go to the beach, unless you're just looking. It's the tail end of the rainy season, so there might be some bad weather, but nothing too serious and if you're here for a week you'll have dry days no matter what.

In terms of outdoorsy stuff, March is an excellent time to head over the mountains out into the desert - things are green and the wildflowers are growing. Lots of fun to be had out there with hiking around, but if you're into straight rockclimbing, the desert isn't really your kind of place. There's tons of places closer to town with way better rock for that. If you're just up for a simple hike, do Cowles Mountain. If that fails there's always the zoo.

Lots of people will probably tell you to hit the Gaslamp, but it's kind of our version of Times Square - mostly for tourists, many locals will tend to avoid it other than for special trips.

What you're able to do will largely depend on what part of town your work is sending you to and if you're renting a car. You can do some things in San Diego without a car, but you'll be very limited. More so if you're stationed outside of the city center.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:09 am

if your into snowshoeing, take a day, an take the tram up and go tramp around Mt. San jacinto, with the tram you can summit in a day!

-CS

Deb

by Deb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:21 am

climberslacker wrote:if your into snowshoeing, take a day, an take the tram up and go tramp around Mt. San jacinto, with the tram you can summit in a day!

-CS

You can summit in a day from Humber Park in Idyllwild too. :? In fact, there are miles and miles of places to wander along the Desert Divide (PCT) in snowshoes! Cowles is lame, go for the higher elevations in San Jacinto Mtns or rock climbing at El Cajon Mtn.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Easy answer..... 8)

Go to Tijuana. For the culture.

:wink:

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 pm

There's a bar in PB that sells $5 Patron shots

Diggler

by Diggler » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Gas Lamp District at night.

moonspots

by moonspots » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:30 am

patssox09 wrote:There's a bar in PB that sells $5 Patron shots

They couldn't pay me $5 to drink that stuff.

:(

I tried it once. My kid likes it, but I don't.

Actually, the hiking the desert appeals to me most. That and finding a good local "hand crafted beer" pub. I don't know yet where the meeting is, but I'd guess it'll be close to the airport.

I like to explore whenever I'm out on these trips. Any place specific for me to avoid? It won't be difficult for someone to determine that "I'm not from around here", what with the ass-white arms and legs and all....

:wink:

kolbi2112

by kolbi2112 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 am

If you want to stay somewhat local you may want to check out the El Cap Open Space Preserve. Easy to get to, easy to find, and with all the up's and down's it's around 4000' of gain in about 5.5 miles. Not bad for a local hike this far south.

Link

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:45 am

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:50 am

Dontcha meen "head east on I-8 and then north to Julian"? :wink:

First of all, if you're thinking of climbing, stay away from the climbing gyms. There are better places to pass ones time rather than at "Stinky Foot City". I say join up with Miguel Forjan in March to enjoy the longest couloir in SoCal:Snow Creek on Mt. San Jacinto. Prepare for a 10 to 12 hour day, 6 hours of that being in 40-45 degree snow gully. Good stuff....watch for excess hair growth on your chest (or if you're a chick, watch for growth of your......well, you know wuddah meen!)

Next

Return to California