Sanitarado or SanitaSoBo tips?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
bouldermom

Sanitarado or SanitaSoBo tips?

by bouldermom » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi there,

I am gathering a group of women to do a SanitaSoBo (Sanitas, Flagstaff, Green, Bear, & SoBo Peaks) in Boulder this June. I know there were a couple people here who have done this (or the longer version that includes Eldorado). Can anyone tell me how many miles it is or approximately how long it takes? We are pretty fit but not hardcore (i.e. no one's running it -- we will hike and take short breaks at each peak). I've hiked up each one numerous times but I've never done more than Bear & SoBo in the same hike. I know we will have to connect Flagstaff and Sanitas via Red Rocks. Also, is one direction preferable to the other? (south to north or north to south?) Any feedback and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BoulderMom, who spent the last 6 years in the Boston area and is now happily back in Boulder :)

Chris

Re: Sanitarado or SanitaSoBo tips?

by Chris » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Sanitarado is 19 miles and 8500' gain. Taking Eldo out reduces it by 2500-3000' or so, and a few miles.

S->N gets a lot of gain over with quickly, but you end with less interesting terrain at the end. I've done it both ways (and out-n-back) and don't really have a preferred way. Both directions are quite enjoyable. It's a fun day out!

Time? The FKT is 4h 59m 42s for the full Eldoitas. Eldo is, arguably, the hardest part (since it's mostly off-trail), so leaving it out is faster. I think it usually takes me about 5-6 hours to do SanitaSobo, and that is hiking the ups (fast) and running everything else.

Good luck!
- Chris

bouldermom

by bouldermom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:36 am

Thanks Chris!! Great info. I appreciate it.

CODave

by CODave » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:49 pm

I'm thinking about doing this soon and I had a couple questions... it seems the best way to go from South Boulder & Eldorado is the Old Mesa Trail to connect with the Shadow Canyon trail that puts you out somewhere near Eldorado Springs. Does anyone have any more info about that part of the route?

Also, can you give me any advice on how to connect Sanitas & Flagstaff?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

no avatar
eforsyth

by eforsyth » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:46 pm

I did this several month ago in October. It was great. I went from North to South and liked it that way (Sanitas to SoBo). This is the guide I used to get me through it:
http://yourboulder.com/5-peak-boulder-traverse/.
as well as mapping it out and taking a print out with me. I got the trail maps here: http://gisweb.ci.boulder.co.us/agswebsi ... smptrails/

Overall it was 8.5 hours, 16.4 miles and 6,300 vertical feet. Let me know if you have any other questions. ericsforsyth (at) gmail (dot) com.

Return to Colorado