schaffner - Posts

Return to advanced search

Road to Withney Portal

Anybody is going up there these days? I was wondering if the road is still open/useable.
by schaffner
Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:32 am

Forum: California
Topic: Road to Withney Portal
Replies: 1
Views: 1700

Re: Water availability at Upper Boyscout Lake

OK, thanks.

(I didn't want to use the water filter for it's filtering function, but for it's pumping function. But freezing of the pump is a good point.)

sjarelkwint: Maybe I could call in an airstrike to target the frozen surface of the lake? ;-)
by schaffner
Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:25 am

Topic: Water availability at Upper Boyscout Lake
Replies: 5
Views: 1344

Water availability at Upper Boyscout Lake

Hi, I assume Upper Boyscout Lake is frozen by now? The temps looked kind of low recently. For a trip end of November, if there is no snow, what would be a feasible way of getting water there? - Chopping pieces out of the lake with an axe/hammer? - Drilling a hole (ice screw?) through the ice and pum...
by schaffner
Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:27 pm

Topic: Water availability at Upper Boyscout Lake
Replies: 5
Views: 1344

Re: Knapsack Pass vs. Thunderbolt Pass

Thanks everybody. I will keep it in mind, although my plans for this weekend in that area just got smashed by NWS :-( I have the impression there have been Tstorms all season long.
by schaffner
Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Topic: Knapsack Pass vs. Thunderbolt Pass
Replies: 7
Views: 3565

Knapsack Pass vs. Thunderbolt Pass

Withou snow, which way is more pleasant/faster to get to the NE end of Barrett Lakes from Bishop Pass: via Thunderbolt Pass or staying longer on trail but with potentially less talus via Knapsack Pass?
by schaffner
Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:42 am

Topic: Knapsack Pass vs. Thunderbolt Pass
Views: 3565

Re: Found GPS and Spot transmitter

If the real canyon looked like the slot canyon shown in 127 hours, I'd be very skeptical about satellite visibility in there. I agree that beacons can be useful, but 127 hours might be a bad example. PS: And the movie was bad... but I should have know: What kind of story-line can a movie have which ...
by schaffner
Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:27 am

Topic: Found GPS and Spot transmitter
Replies: 14
Views: 3494

Re: Mount Whitney mountaineer's route

ONLY the Main Whitney Trail requires a lottery entry. Still not completely true, for day in quota period use you can/have to do the lottery or hope for remaining permits. http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml#nflp What permit do I need for the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek area? ...
by schaffner
Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:23 am

Topic: Mount Whitney mountaineer's route
Replies: 39
Views: 13939

The MR via the NF Lone Pine Creek Trail, is within the Whitney Region Lottery Program.

Depends. Day-use is lottery, overnight is not.
by schaffner
Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:25 pm

You can get permits on recreation.gov. The most commonly used trailhead for this route is North Fork of Lone Pine Creek. For these, there is no lottery, you just need to be fast in booking when they become available. If that fails you can try to get a walk-in permit at the ranger station. Many peopl...
by schaffner
Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Christopher, To answer your questions it would be useful to know when you want to go and what your experience is with stuff like that. Assuming that you want to go now, then I would say, based on when we descended it a few weeks ago after climbing the East Buttress: There is no snow whatsoever on...
by schaffner
Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Thunderbolt to Sill Conditions

Are you attempting it this weekend? We were also thinking about it, but I don't like the thunderstorms in the forecast.
by schaffner
Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Topic: Thunderbolt to Sill Conditions
Views: 3301

Re: U-Notch in mid-late May

Ryan,

did you come up from the north side of Thunderbolt? How was the schrund there? We might be there next weekend.

Thanks.

BTW: Does anybody know why I will be forwarded to my own profile if I click on somebody's name to send a PM?
by schaffner
Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Topic: U-Notch in mid-late May
Replies: 24
Views: 6613

Coditions of N/NE couloir of Thunderbolt

Hi,

does anybody have any information on the current conditions of these routes on Thunderbolt? Is it icy? How are the bergschrunds?

Thanks.
by schaffner
Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Topic: Coditions of N/NE couloir of Thunderbolt
Replies: 1
Views: 1145

Re: In the Bay area for a week, looking for a climb

Average low of 15F in mid July? That surprises me. Right now the forecast is low of 20 F for 12,000 ft. And there is currently a cold front coming through, so it's supposed to be warmer. Where did you get the weather record for Hidden Valley? I was always looking for a place to get historical point ...
by schaffner
Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Topic: In the Bay area for a week, looking for a climb
Replies: 15
Views: 5611
PreviousNext

Return to advanced search