Shakhaur

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
Ski Mountaineer

Shakhaur

by Ski Mountaineer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:13 pm

While looking for some future projects I came across Shakhaur in the Hindu Kush.
Does by any chance anybody here know anyone who has been on the peak, preferably from the Afghan side?

Happy New Year to everybody!
Peter

BigLee

by BigLee » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:49 pm

The peak definately hasn't been climbed on the Afghan side since the 70s by which time atleast three routes had been put up from there. There's not been a huge amount of climbing in Afghanistan because of political instability and fact that the logistics seem to be a total headache. Only big expedition that I know of to the Afghan Hindukush was that led by Carlo Pinelli, director of Mountain Wilderness, who successfully climbed Noshaq in 2003. He might be a good person to get in touch with if you can find an email. I know that they had a problem getting through the mine fields in the approach valley!

There were also a couple of 6000m peaks recently climbed in the Afghan Pamir. One was called Koh-e-Bardar and the other Koh-e-Maghrebi.

Good luck,

Lee

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:00 pm

Hi Big Lee!

Koh-e-Maghrebi was climbed by a friend of mine, but he could not give me much info on Shakhaur or Urgent Zom. Not sure about the logistics, for a small team moving w/o much support it could be OK as one can start from the villages (we would be acclimatized and bring most food from Tajikistan).

Pinelli I already dropped an email yesterday. But a big questionmark over the whole thing will remain and the only way to figure it out is just got there and see.
You do not happen to have infos about the three routes (I would guess those routes are up the NW ramp, north face pillar and east ridge).

I am not in a hurry to go there, just trying to get the few infos together of the course of time.

Take care,
Peter

Return to Asia