Shasta this weekend. (Avalanche Safety Question)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
connollyck

Shasta this weekend. (Avalanche Safety Question)

by connollyck » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:04 pm

well it looks like its going to dump all week, leaving tons of unconsolidated snow for painfully slow trailbreaking and potentially high avalanche risk. we were going to go up casaval, but now having second thoughts. thoughts?

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:29 pm

I wa on Shasta yesterday. It was 18* and snowing at 50/50 at about 3pm. We had a fair amount of wind crust and post-holing up around 50-50 flat area. Casaval was almost bone dry and the gulch was somewhat mixed. Our original plan was to hike up to the first window area but the scree was not too inviting. Besides, I was just there to break-in some new boots. Scott

connollyck

by connollyck » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:41 pm

thanks! so sounds like casaval sucks right now. you think avalanche gulch is the safest option at this point?

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:53 pm

i think you have heard of it many times before but here it goes again, it is named Avalanche Gulch for a reason. if you said there's high avy danger, why would you take that route over a ridge? both routes are conditions dependent, why go when they are not in conditions? the weather is crap dude, better head to Starbucks and bring a good book.

edit: unless you like suffering then go for it. a bit of suffering builds character. 8)

connollyck

by connollyck » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:09 pm

kevin trieu wrote:i think you have heard of it many times before but here it goes again, it is named Avalanche Gulch for a reason. if you said there's high avy danger, why would you take that route over a ridge? both routes are conditions dependent, why go when they are not in conditions? the weather is crap dude, better head to Starbucks and bring a good book.

edit: unless you like suffering then go for it. a bit of suffering builds character. 8)

thats what i thought. unfortunately my work schedule ends up running my calendar most of the time and not the weather. i planned this weekend to climb two months ago. shit.

connollyck

by connollyck » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:24 pm

wanted to do a winter ascent of shasta. guess we're not there yet

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:48 pm

We all have to plan around work, family, etc. etc. Sometimes the weather cooperates, and sometimes not.
Better to go when it is cooperating, rather than force it. Three guys died up on Hood a few years ago by forcing the issue. . .

Return to California