Skiing in Germany 2025

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Deb

Skiing in Germany 2025

by Deb » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:07 pm

Long range planning - really dreaming of getting into Bavaria for Jan - Feb 2025 winter skiing and possible easy summits. Anyone have good info or links to skiing/climbing around Garmisch?
I lived in Stuttgart 40 years ago (Army husband) and never got the chance to go to Bavaria. As a veteran (Marine Corps), I can get perks in hotels and rental car; seeking info on resorts and ascendable mountains in the area. Thanks!

mvs

Re: Skiing in Germany 2025

by mvs » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:40 pm

Hi Deb,
It would be good to be ready to go into higher mountains in Austria, namely the Sellrain region of the Stubai Mountains (an hour drive south of Garmisch), because sometimes lately the snow starts rather late. We've had brown slopes to mid-Jan at lower elevations.

But indeed, you can get a lot of climbing in at the ski area that spreads north of the Alpspitze, and even do an interesting winter climb by the north ridge of that peak. The Alpspitze is a nice ski destination too, though an early start is advised as the slope faces east and can be dangerous in bad avalanche conditions.

The Lampsenspitze in the Sellrain is a reliable tour in that time-frame: https://www.almenrausch.at/touren/detai ... n-praxmar/ Many others of course, I've just found that right around Garmisch is not exactly a huge snow destination every year in early winter.

Have fun!

Return to Europe