Sleeping in a RAV-4?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Sleeping in a RAV-4?

by Bob Sihler » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:10 am

I'm flying out to Grand Junction in a few weeks and spending a week in Utah and western Colorado. I've reserved an SUV in a class described as RAV-4 or similar.

To save some bucks and feel a little closer to the surroundings, I would like to spend a few nights in the car. I am 6'. Every RAV-4 I see looks really small inside. Has anyone around my size slept in one? How did it go?

I'm flying carry-on only, so tent camping is not an option. Am I in for some unpleasant nights, or should I fork over the extra money for a room?

A bigger car is not really an option either because there is a big jump in rental cost for the next size up. In that case, I'd rather sleep in a bed.

Haliku

by Haliku » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:13 am

Hi Bob.

I have a Rav4 and am 6'2". Sleeping in the passenger seat reclined is possible but not very comfortable. Sleeping in the back seat is also cramped. Depending on how tired you are it might not be a problem. Cheers!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:18 am

Haliku wrote:Hi Bob.

I have a Rav4 and am 6'2". Sleeping in the passenger seat reclined is possible but not very comfortable. Sleeping in the back seat is also cramped. Depending on how tired you are it might not be a problem. Cheers!

Thanks. What about sleeping in the back with the rear seats folded flat? That's what I'd likely do. Or is that what you meant?

oconnellr

by oconnellr » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:21 am

depends what year rav-4 it is. I have a 2008 rav-4, am about 6'1" and easily sleep in the back. Trick is to make sure you slide the front seat forward, drop the rear seats forward, and put a bag or two in the space between the front and rear seat to build yourself a pillow. If it's an earlier model rav-4 you might not be so lucky.

mvs

by mvs » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:44 am

I miss my RAV4...great car. But I could never sleep in it. We would always just roll out sleeping bags next to the car. How about just buy a cheap tarp at WalMart when you get there? That way if it rains you can string it up somewhere.

Have fun!

climbandkayak

by climbandkayak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:25 pm

I've slept comfortably many times in my Honda CR-V, which is roughly the same size as a RAV4. But I'm 5'6"....

mmmthmtskier

by mmmthmtskier » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:50 am

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:20 pm

oconnellr wrote:depends what year rav-4 it is. I have a 2008 rav-4, am about 6'1" and easily sleep in the back. Trick is to make sure you slide the front seat forward, drop the rear seats forward, and put a bag or two in the space between the front and rear seat to build yourself a pillow. If it's an earlier model rav-4 you might not be so lucky.

What he said. I had a 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara which is a rip-off of the RAV-4. If I pushed the front seat forward and dropped the back seat down I could sleep diagonally reasonably well. I'm 5'7". Problem for me was the big ridge under my butt/lower back created by folding the back seats down. No manner of padding/blankets would help. I felt like the Princess and the Pea. :lol:

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:25 pm

oconnellr wrote:depends what year rav-4 it is. I have a 2008 rav-4, am about 6'1" and easily sleep in the back. Trick is to make sure you slide the front seat forward, drop the rear seats forward, and put a bag or two in the space between the front and rear seat to build yourself a pillow. If it's an earlier model rav-4 you might not be so lucky.

What he said. I had a 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara which is a rip-off of the RAV-4. If I pushed the front seat forward and dropped the back seat down I could sleep diagonally reasonably well. I'm 5'7". Problem for me was the big ridge under my butt/lower back created by folding the back seats down. No manner of padding/blankets would help. I felt like the Princess and the Pea. :lol:

cdurf

Sleeping in a Taurus Wagon and 6'3"

by cdurf » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:42 am

No modification except back seats down and pile up the gear on the other side. Moon roof left open to vent or side window cracked open and low moisture build up. Some mosquito netting over an open window works.

I like the idea about starting the car and the coffee and 10 minutes your set.

Taurus Wagon 2000 and 6'3"

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:05 am

Unless the weather is really bad, sleep outside the car. The Walmart suggestion is good. Also, thrift stores like "Goodwill" often have 2nd hand sleeping bags for a couple of bucks. If you get lucky it could be nice.

I'm a proud dirt-bagger. If I can't get a room at the Ahwahnee I'd just as soon sleep on the ground in the over-flow parking area.

One time, in a heavy storm, near Moab I slept in a phone booth with one of the side windows kicked out. I expect a Rav-4 would be about the same. (I have a '97 Rav4)

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Uhhhh, Spidie...it's getting cold in these here hills at night. We've even had snow at elevation! Now I know Bob's a tough guy, but even tough guys needs a comfortable place to sleep. I'd also bet Goodwill doesn't have so many of those $2 sleeping bags since all the homeless folks are having to buy them up in readiness for winter.

I'd also be a bit wary of bears roaming around getting ready for their long winter's naps. I'm not saying they'd be a nuisance but they've been out and about even in remote areas and where they tend to remain shy. They're hungry little buggers, especially in Aspen!

While I think your ideas are admirable I'd be more inclined to stick with Plan A.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:37 am

I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to all who have responded here; there has been some very good information shared.

I will probably stick with the "RAV-4 or Similar" and make do with the rear seats folded down. However, I found I was wrong about the cost of an upgrade; something the size of an Explorer will only cost me about 50 extra clams, though I'd have slightly higher gas costs, too. The idea of a tarp and a bag would be nice for the summer, but it will probably be a little too cold for that in October in Utah. I guess I've gone soft like REI! :D

Thanks again for the feedback.

bgriffs

by bgriffs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:30 am

A pint of whiskey should do the trick.

Return to Gear