Snow Conditions in Snoqualmie Pass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Aaron Dyer

Snow Conditions in Snoqualmie Pass

by Aaron Dyer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:35 pm

I am going to be in the NW here for the next couple of weeks and I was wondering what the current snow conditions are like around Snoqualmie Pass. I was looking at soloing Chair Peak. Is this worth doing right now? I know that area is very prone to avalanches, so any advice would be appreciated.

cbcbd

by cbcbd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Check http://www.nwac.us/forecast/avalanche/current/zone/10/
for general avy conditions and just keep an eye on the weather.
The snowpack isn't huge this year and there is plenty of general skier, snowshoer, climber traffic that heads into the Source Lake area that you could probably follow someone's kicked steps.
It's warming up a lot the next few days with the freezing level jumping up past 7K' (I don't recall seeing a freezing level that high in a while), that's probably why the avy forecast is slightly rising.

In the pass this year the avy danger has been pretty low - temps have stayed pretty warm this winter with lots of rain or just very dense snow, making for a pretty solid snowpack.

Other than that the NF route is very fat right now, so if avy conditions are fine I'd say go for it.

Snidely Whiplash

by Snidely Whiplash » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:40 pm

What cbcbd said is good advice and right on. I would just add that the area around Source Lake (the approach to Chair Peak) is notorious for having some of the worst avalanches anywhere. A famous accident happened here in 1972 when a family out cross-country skiing got buried in a massive avalanche. Their bodies weren't found until August.

So be especially careful there. But this is a very low snowpack year. We are supposed to have a warm weekend, but cooler, wetter weather with snow in the mountains is expected early next week.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)