Snow Tongue Pass. Just how scary is it?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Katward

Snow Tongue Pass. Just how scary is it?

by Katward » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:14 am

I'm considering doing a modified version of the South Lake to North Lake loop and a section of Roper's Sierra High Route. Thinking of going over Snow Tongue Pass to Piute Canyon, French Canyon, Puppet Pass, Desolation Lake and out to North Lake.

However all my resources say Snow Tongue is really, REALLY scary. Has anyone been over it and if so, is it really that bad? Any idea what it will be like in August with the above average snow this year?

Any good alternatives? I could just stay on the JMT and go around Glacier Divide via Piute the whole way...but where's the fun in that?

snowblind

by snowblind » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:46 am

It is not that bad...a bit loose at top (you can sorta see it in the photo), but no big deal esp. heading into Piute. Just take your time. Ideal to hit it when there is still some snow on the lower section so you can avoid a good deal of boulder hopping. I think August will be nice.

The only other reasonable options (although further) over the glacier divide that I am aware of is Alpine Col or the Keyhole. I would take Snow Tongue given the option. If time permits, hit Pilot Knob...it is pretty quick and has a stunning view.

myles

by myles » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks for the link there, dryheat. These two threads are getting me thinking of heading west again this year. Usual climbing suspects aren't available this summer, and I've been enjoying these sorts of rambles the past couple of years.

Might be time for my first Sierra solo loop.

Return to California