Snowdonia Mountain Recognition Help Needed Please

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Big Benn

Snowdonia Mountain Recognition Help Needed Please

by Big Benn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 am

I only discovered Snowdonia in August last year, but have been back walking there a good few times since. So I should be able to recognise the local mountains, especially from photos I have taken using map and compass. But those below just defeat me!

I was walking to Cnicht from the North, via Ysgafell Wen, (Far North Top), and they are where Craig Wen, (above Beddgelert), and Yr Aran should be. But they just don't look right for them. They are further north than Moel Hebog and the distant Nantlle Ridge as well. And they are too high for the smaller hills like Moel y Dyniewydd.

This first photo was taken from Ysgafell Wen Far North Top, (circa 669m) looking West. Extreme left of background is the end of the Nantlle Ridge. But what are the large mountains in the background and to right of picture?

This shot is taken from about East of Llyn y Biswail, looking at what I thought would have been the direction of Craig Wen and Yr Aran? The highest peak just right of center?

Help from Snowdonian expert welcomed!

You can get more clues by reading the whole of my blog for that walk. http://www.germanhikes.co.uk/hike08/2008Dec2/31Dec/31Dec.html

Nanuls

by Nanuls » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Hi Bryan, I think I can help, you've correctly identified the Nantlle Ridge for as start.

As for the others:

That big one in the centre is Snowdon, the smaller peak to the left is Yr Aran. You can just see Garnedd Ugain in the background to the right of Snowdon, and in the right foreground is the back of Y Lliwedd. On the far left of the second photo you can also see Crib Goch.

Nice shots BTW

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks Nanuls. Obvious to me now! They just look different from the angle I was viewing them from.

Many thanks.

Bryan

Charles

by Charles » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:10 pm

Yes they are nice shots! Thanks Bryan, I´ve had some good times there!

Return to Europe