Sole "Ed Viesturs" Footbeds

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
JHH60

Sole "Ed Viesturs" Footbeds

by JHH60 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:08 am

Anybody use them? I've got relatively low volume feet with my left foot flatter than my right (also have some plantar fasciitis in that foot, maybe from too much running, maybe from too much clutch use in stop-and-go Bay Area traffic).

I was using green superfeet in my mountain boots (LS Nepals, LS Trangos, Scarpa Omegas) to take up the volume but in the last couple years have started having some problems with blisters under my left arch on long hikes in, especially in the stiffer boots (Nepals, Omegas). I've been thinking of getting custom fit orthotics with a lower arch in the left foot, but the thermoformable "Sole - Ed Viesturs" footbeds seem like a cheaper option.

As an aside, do other people notice their feet getting flatter (and not necessarily equally on each side) as they get older? I've always had flattish feet but in my 20s, 30s and most of my 40s never had blisters or had to wear inserts, despite a fair amount (40-60 mi/wk) of running mileage and a fair amount of hiking mileage. Of course maybe that's why I have foot problems now...

albanberg

by albanberg » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:27 pm

I have the Viesturs footbeds and use them in my hiking boots. I have one set of lightweight single boots that can be used with crampons and I use the footbeds in those too. I like them because they are thick/cushy and have a nice arch. I did the heat molding and I'm not sure it makes a difference, so with your feet being different they might not work for both feet. They will take up a lot of volume.

Just buy them from REI and return them if they don't work for you. :-)

I have heard that custom footbeds are really nice and that a lot of pro athletes use them.

I have not noticed a difference in my feet over the years, but yeah, I'm not out there pounding them that much either.

Note: I've used the blue Viesturs footbeds and that's it... I have some thinner sole footbeds bu t don't have any boots that I need them in at the moment. I tried a both of these in my Spantiks but they took up too much room. Also the Spantiks have been fine for me with no footbeds.
Last edited by albanberg on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8kclimber

by 8kclimber » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:05 pm

I use both the thinner and thicker Viesters models depending on the foot wear that I'm using. At t recent visit to a top foot doctor for a pain that appears to be a neuroma(sp) in Seattle he gave the Sole inserts high praise. My suggestion is to fold one footbed to each show as the footbed will mold not only to your foot but to what it is placed in. In my Solomen trail runners are totally different than my Nepals or Spantiks or Kayland Dragon Flys for that matter. I found I got much better fitting and comfort.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I bought a pair and molded them into my Nepals, and on my brief 4 mile test hike yesterday they felt more comfortable than the Superfeet green, with little or no tendon pain in my left foot. I plan to take them on a longer hike today. The real test will come in a couple weeks when (weather permitting) I actually take them climbing.

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:55 pm

I find this instructive. I tried the Ed Viesturs moldable footbeds in a pair of boots, and found them to incredibly uncomfortable, to the point where I was ready to blame it on the boots and find another pair. As a last-ditch effort I switched back to Superfeet, and found that they almost completely cured the problem. Go figure.

DanielWade

by DanielWade » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:37 am

If you don't wear Superfeet in your everyday shoes, sometimes using them in boots can be kind of a shock to your foot. Try the blue Superfeet for a change.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:39 pm

I tried them in a pair of asolo expert GV. The boots fit my feet perfect before but the soles of my feet would get sore if I stood around to much. I put the sole inserts in and got instant blisters on my heals.

Like an idiot I had cut the toes of the sole insert to fit my boots before trying them out so there was no returning them for me.

MarthaP

Re: Sole "Ed Viesturs" Footbeds

by MarthaP » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:59 pm

JHH60 wrote:As an aside, do other people notice their feet getting flatter (and not necessarily equally on each side) as they get older? I've always had flattish feet but in my 20s, 30s and most of my 40s never had blisters or had to wear inserts, despite a fair amount (40-60 mi/wk) of running mileage and a fair amount of hiking mileage. Of course maybe that's why I have foot problems now...

I don't know if I'd say mine are getting flatter but they sure as heck are getting bigger! :lol: I'm a true Flat Foot Floogie with a floy, floy.

The Sole's are cut with a much higher arch support so if it's the arches blistering they're probably not the best choice. I've used Superfeet (the rose ones for goils) for years but am not happy with them any longer so I plan to switch to the Sole's for the winter. Again, depending upon how much volume you need to take up and what the activity, select the style that's most appropriate for your foot. If you're near an REI they usually have some demo footbeds floating around - stick them in your boots and walk around the store for a bit. That could be telling, particularly if you have the time.

8kclimber

by 8kclimber » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:44 am

outofstep80 wrote:I tried them in a pair of asolo expert GV. The boots fit my feet perfect before but the soles of my feet would get sore if I stood around to much. I put the sole inserts in and got instant blisters on my heals.

Like an idiot I had cut the toes of the sole insert to fit my boots before trying them out so there was no returning them for me.

Remember both SOLE and REI have an unconditional return policy even if you have trimmed them. I would try molding them to your foot in the boots you are planning to wear. Heal blisters are usually due to raising the foot too high and no longer having a solid heal pocket. A good boot fitter is bliss!

cbcbd

by cbcbd » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:46 am

I tried the green superfeet and did not like them.
Tried the regular Soles and ignore their "wear them for only 4hrs the first time" instructions and had horrible knee/hip pain while at a standing-room-only concert - dumb.
Gave them another shot and I love them, always wear them.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:51 am

I have them and think their worthless since the arch breaks down under your foot weight. Check out PowerStep insoles. Their standard model (not the Pinacle model) keeps your arch supported, regardless of your weight. The heal cup is the deepest I've used. They also last longer than Sole and SuperFeet insoles. Most running shops sell them.

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:14 am

fwiw, i used the EV's inserts in Spantiks for some mild alpine last season and all of this season for ice in CA (with very timid approaches) and they worked spectacularly well: almost completely eliminated heel lift and the boot feels amazingly customized now. i think the lesson is as pointed out above: all feet are different. these will work great for some and not for others. i was b*tching and griping up a storm for weeks after coughing up the dough for them before i finally heated them up, put them in and went out: worth every penny for me

no avatar
jthomas

by jthomas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:27 pm

8kclimber wrote:
outofstep80 wrote:I tried them in a pair of asolo expert GV. The boots fit my feet perfect before but the soles of my feet would get sore if I stood around to much. I put the sole inserts in and got instant blisters on my heals.

Remember both SOLE and REI have an unconditional return policy even if you have trimmed them. I would try molding them to your foot in the boots you are planning to wear. Heal blisters are usually due to raising the foot too high and no longer having a solid heal pocket. A good boot fitter is bliss!

Will REI actually take them back even if you have trimmed them? I knew they have a great return policy, but this is hard to believe.

Jim Thomas

Ammon Hatch

by Ammon Hatch » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:31 pm

jthomas wrote:Will REI actually take them back even if you have trimmed them? I knew they have a great return policy, but this is hard to believe.

Jim Thomas

I took a pair back after they had been trimmed and heated. I was not 100% satisfied. They took em back no problem.

no avatar
jthomas

by jthomas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:33 pm

Ammon Hatch wrote:
jthomas wrote:Will REI actually take them back even if you have trimmed them? I knew they have a great return policy, but this is hard to believe.

Jim Thomas

I took a pair back after they had been trimmed and heated. I was not 100% satisfied. They took em back no problem.

Awesome, now I will give them a try for sure. Thanks.

Next

Return to Gear