Spantik fit and advice

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
turkbrim9

Spantik fit and advice

by turkbrim9 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:47 pm

I have a boot fit question. I am going to fill you in on my boot
fitting journey to give you a little background information to so you
can get an idea on what I have tried on.

First off, this is what I own. I have the Nepal Evo's for my single
boot. I love them, they fit great. They are a size 44.5. I wanted
to get a double boot and was able to get a pair of Nuptse's on sale,
they are a 45.5, but they are too big. So I am on the quest for a new
double boot.

I tried the Baruntse's (44.5) first, but they didn't fit right, felt
sloppy. So I moved onto the Spantik's. I first tired the 44.5 and
they were too small, so I returned them. I am now onto size a 45.
They fit pretty good. I can wiggle my toes, no heel slippage, but I am not sure if they are a little tight. Should try the 45.5. I figured they would be too big if the Nuptse's I have now are 45.5 and don't fit. Your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. I have been wearing a smart wool
mountaineering sock for this entire boot journey.

Dane1

Re: Spantik fit and advice

by Dane1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:01 am

As the other guy said. You need to heat mold the liners on both boots to get a proper fit as inteneded.

Nepal Evo comes in true half sizes.
Double boots don't. None that I am aware of anyway.
44 and 44.5 in a Baruntse and Spantik are the same boot.
45 and 45.5 is the same boot. Shells change on the full size iirc.

If you truly need a 44.5 you'll need a 45 in a Baruntse or Spantik and you'll need to mold the liners properly to get a good fit.

A resource for climbing double boot info and more is: http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/

SiriusA

by SiriusA » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:04 pm

If you gonna mold the inner liner, it will change the fit a bit, so a 45 could be right. I also have a 44,5 in sportivas and have the baruntse in 45, with the molded liner they fit awesome.

no avatar
turkbrim9

by turkbrim9 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for the info. It looks like getting them heat molded is what I need to do. Cheers

SiriusA

by SiriusA » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:27 pm

One thing which is also well working for doubles, is to put one feet in the shell. Wear some mid socks and if you don't touch the shell anywhere, the shell size will be okay and the rest is done by the head molding...
Shellsize is always the important issue with double. The molding will do the rest :)

no avatar
climbhigh

by climbhigh » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:10 am

I have worn "SOLE" orthotics in the past and have my first double boot on the way, Baruntse. Can you or do people wear orthotics with a double boot?

8kclimber

by 8kclimber » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:29 pm

Just as an update for folks looking for sizing help. I use 44.5 in all of LS running shoes and 10.5 (44.5) in Asics runners. In Asics the 11 (45) are too big. I use a 44 Nepal Evo.

Using a SW liner, SW mountaineering sock and orthothodic, I stared with a 43 Spantik and went to a 43.4, 44 and ended up going all the way up to a Spantik 45 and having them cooked and fitted by a boot fitter in Redmond's bike and ski shop (forget the name Dane knows them). I used them on 3 routes on Rainier in a weeks time. They started off great but by the end of the week they were loose and sloppy so I sold the 45 and went back down to the 44.5 in the Spantik and stayed in the 45 in the Oly Mons.

So for a 10.5 Ascis and 44.5 LS runner wearer a 44 or 44.5 will be perfect depending on sock and footbed.

I have a pair of brand new never worn LS Nuptse's in 44.5 if anyone wants them. allen(at)Livinginswflorida(dot)com

Return to Gear