STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:30 pm

Best of luck on Gannett! The scenery on the approach hike is supposed to be unbelievable!

What's that about Campbell? It is closed most days?

chilkoot

by chilkoot » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:19 am

I will be heading out to do Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas Highpoints in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions for the best route up Elbert (i.e. prettiest, most fun, best scenery)? Also does anyone know if Kansas and Nebraska are still as straight forward as the descriptions I have read suggest? #36, 37 and 38 if all goes well, plus some other 14ers.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:27 pm

NE is just a drive up. Just follow the HP signs along the road... I've done the South Mt Elbert trail and it is fairly scenic overlooking the Twin Lakes area.

I'm going to climb Boundary Peak on Aug 15th, as part of a week long peak-bagging trip. Is anyone else headed out that way?

chilkoot

by chilkoot » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:44 am

Thanks for the info. Good luck on Boundary. It's a beautiful peak.

no avatar
2skinners

by 2skinners » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:48 am

Alpinist wrote:I'm going to climb Boundary Peak on Aug 15th, as part of a week long peak-bagging trip. Is anyone else headed out that way?

I am going to be living in Santa Cruz by that time. I do not know what my schedule looks like yet, but if you are interested that is one highpoint that I have yet to do.

e-doc

by e-doc » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:59 am

Alpinist wrote:I called the school and Campbell Hill is now open on Saturdays all year round from 7am - 7pm. Thanks for the tip though. :)

I have heard the gate on the side is open. You can climb over or through the fence

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:25 am

Is anyone besides Holsti97 going to the Highpointers convention in Wisconsin this weekend...?

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:54 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm thinking about it. My daughter's schedule just changed, and we may not have time to go to Colorado. And my sister and her kids will be camping in Door County Wisconsin, so it seems like the perfect time to go!

The only thing is, I'm picking her up in Delaware Friday night. We probably couldn't get there before Saturday night. I don't know how much convention will be left by then. It sure would be great to meet Holsti and Alpinist and any other of the great people on this thread in person!

Is anybody going up there that might want to go to Michigan or Minnesota on Monday?

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:26 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was going. I was just curious if any SPers were heading up there. I can't break free this weekend... Have fun if you do go...!

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Wisc is centrally located. Yeah, that's it... You didn't expect the Highpointer's Club to meet on Denali, did you?

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:33 pm

You guys are really making me think. As many of you know I was planning to take my kid climbing in Colorado this summer, plus a swing thru the midwest and/or south. Now with her shortened schedule we can really only do one destination. And I'm starting to think that we should skip everything except Colorado! That has the best mountains, the ones I most want to climb, and the one I think are most likely to inspire Cypress. I am having a hard time thinking that Eagle in Minnesota is going to be the highlight of our trip after dreaming for a whole year of going to the Rockies.

Of course I'm not knocking highpointing, but if it's the Rockies or the Midwest...I think I have to have a talk with Junior!

WingLady

by WingLady » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:31 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Holding their convention in Wisconsin says it all sadly. I can never 'be one of them.'

I'm sure they have to do that to appease the flatlanders among them but WISCONSIN????

What were they smoking????

We "elect" a different state highpoint each year for the convention, and have a rotation of regions of the country eligible for each year so we don't always end up in the West. We also try to go to a state where we've never had a convention before, or that hasn't been visited in many years.

For many years, one of the "must do" parts of a convention was a group hike to the local highpoint. While I was on the Board of Directors, we decided to allow states where having a few hundred people "hike" to the summit during a single day was clearly not feasible. A convention was soon scheduled for Washington, and we substituted some day hikes on and around Rainier on that convention day, while encouraging people who wanted to climb the peak to plan their climb for slightly before or after the convention, since they'd be in the area anyway.

And I don't care how many times you ask, I'm not going to tell you what we were smoking! :roll:

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:26 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Holding their convention in Wisconsin says it all sadly. I can never 'be one of them.'

I'm sure they have to do that to appease the flatlanders among them but WISCONSIN????

What were they smoking????

DMT

Highpointing forefather announces to Rick Hartman and other HPers that the convention will be held in Flagstaff, Arizona in 2008:

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:19 pm

2skinners wrote:
Alpinist wrote:I'm going to climb Boundary Peak on Aug 15th, as part of a week long peak-bagging trip. Is anyone else headed out that way?

I am going to be living in Santa Cruz by that time. I do not know what my schedule looks like yet, but if you are interested that is one highpoint that I have yet to do.

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you're interested in doing this. Cheers...

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:28 pm

Based on the map in your profile, shouldn't Mt Elbert be your next highpoint...? :P

PreviousNext

Return to General