STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
JohnMcPike

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by JohnMcPike » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Bark Eater wrote:"I got a white butt on White Butte".

I dropped my pants and exposed mine for a picture - sadly this was back when we had film in the camera and it turned out the film was not in camera propwerly - so no pictures of me and my butt on White Butte

Jow

by Jow » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:51 am

punchline wrote:My plans for 2017 include WV, MD, PA and DE (Highpoints 46, 47, 48, 49) in March and then HI (Highpoint 50) in April. Getting close ... Luckily I work for a company that has unwittingly sent me traveling to some obscure states and regions where I could tack on a day or two on my itinerary and grab a couple highpoints! :D

Wow congrats in advance great accomplishment!(not trying to jinx) Hawaii is popular way to end for a reason enjoy.

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
punchline

spiderman

by spiderman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:31 am

JohnMcPike wrote:June plans for Elbert. Got a 4wd quad cab Ford truck - Is there room at south trail trailhead to turn around in it to go back down?

http://14ers.com/routelist.php?peak=Mt.+Elbert
This is your site for beta on Elbert, routes, and TH conditions. The easiest way up is the East Ridge route. Check back in closer to your climb to see the current trail and TH conditions. There could be significant snow left on the mountain if we keep up our pace with snowfall. You can also PM me (spiderman on 14ers.com) if you have questions.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Puma concolor wrote:Which route are you taking, BarkEater, and when? Will be rooting for you big time. :D

No highpointing for me this year. Half-tempted to stop by the Convention in Massachusetts in July (only an hour from my house) but I'm not really a social animal so will probably pass.

Big focus for me this year will be on finishing another list I've been toying around with for a couple of decades, New England Highest Hundred. Just six peaks to go in Northwestern Maine and will be attempting them in late June.

Thanks. DC (standard) July 19-20. Good luck in Maine. I've heard a couple of those trailless ones are beasts. One of these years I will make it to a konvention. The MA one is at the same time as my Rainier trip.

JohnMcPike

by JohnMcPike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:49 am

spiderman wrote:This is your site for beta on Elbert, routes, and TH conditions. The easiest way up is the East Ridge route.

Ok, sounds like I am getting my trail names confused. East Ridge appears to be the one where if you have a high clearance vehicle you get go up the 2 miles further in. That in the one I was wondering if there were opportunities to turn around at the higher trailhead and points in between.
Thanks a bunch for replying

EdvinBuster

by EdvinBuster » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:35 pm

I've been working on this for some time now. I have 12 states I think.

A lot of people don't "get" why visiting each state is a fun thing to do. It's more about exploration and seeing parts of the country you would otherwise ignore. One of my favorite state high points is IA actually, the drive in and out is quite fun.

As for difficulty, the most difficult to find has been CT for me, the most demanding physically so far is probably NY. CO is not much more than a walk up with some altitude and weather considerations.

I am looking forward to WY, CA, and OR. AK will be one of the last, and HI will be a fun vacation...

Anyway, feel free to hit me up, I can give you more information if you like.

The following user would like to thank EdvinBuster for this post
Bark Eater, spiderman

spiderman

by spiderman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Best of luck Edvin. Getting to the highest point in a state sure is a satisfying accomplishment. You build up so many skills as you continue your quest. My son and I were complete neophytes when we started. We learned so many skills along the way and shared so many great memories. You also see America in all of its natural beauty. We completely agree with IA being a hidden gem. You also get to meet some amazing other highpointers along the quest.

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Happy 2017, everyone! Please share your plans for the year!

IagosGhost, congratulations on getting your kids into Highpointing, and your trip up Guadalupe! I personally got into highpointng as a way to bond with my daughter, it must be real production doing it with two kids!

Jow, I liked your TR on the Dakotas. We kind of crossed paths this summer when we did those, too. Unexpectedly awesome!

Punchline, good luck finishing your journey, and congatulations!

JohnMcPike, so that would have been a White Butt on White Butte? Please let us know what happens with Colorado, we may climb this year and would love to hear if you find a better way.

EdvinBuster, so with you on the travel aspects being key to Highpointing. By the time you are done, you have have truly Seen America!

Thinking back, I started this thread 10 years ago, when we had climbed 10 high points. Now we have 26. I really thought we would have been finished before this! But it looks like we have maybe one week a year,and the states are now pretty far apart, so I don't see us going too much faster!

This year, we either will do a road trip to the Gulf states, the Midwest states of Illinois Iowa Arkansas Missouri, or fly to Colorado and probably drive to Kansas and Oklahoma. That's assuming we do a trip. But if we do we will collect 3 or 4 more states, and finally get Cypress past her age in highpoints. Last year, she finally caught her age and climbed her 26th at the age of 26. Apparently that has been a thing in her mind since about 2012! And before we actually climb this year she will turn 27, and will be behind again...

punchline

by punchline » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:00 pm

Good luck on your 2017 plans!

Just a comment that for my work I traveled a lot in the Gulf States and unfortunately ended up usually having to go in the dead of summer. I hated traveling to Georgia, Florida, Mississippi and Alabama during those months. But I was absolutely shocked at how beautiful those areas were and what amazing weather we had when we did those Highpoints over one Thanksgiving. It was so refreshing to see green lush forests and feel the lack of humidity - the leaves were just beginning to turn - just a thought as you are planning ...

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:41 pm

Thanks, Punchline! We usually go in the summer and I was wondering about those Gulf States...

spiderman

by spiderman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:45 pm

100% agreed that the Southern section is far more enjoyable over Thanksgiving, but you do have to keep an eye out for snow in Tennessee, North Calona, and Virginia around that time. Nevertheless the peaks are so easy that the weather conditions don't matter very much. You are back to the car before you get too hot or too cold.

JohnMcPike

by JohnMcPike » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:06 am

Got my flight itinerary so it's official. Heading to Mt Elbert in June - taking advantage of all the summer solstice daylight

punchline

by punchline » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:34 pm

HP's # 46, #47, #48, and #49 are on the books! Took advantage of free airline tickets and hotel/rental car points to head out east. Took my 81 yr. old Dad along as navigator! He tagged 3 of the 4 and is now up to 6 HP's (incl. AK, OR and WA)! Weather cooperated until we headed from WV to DE and had to bail the benchmark out from under 2" of rain!
Attachments
Where is the Benchmark (2).jpg
Need to bail out the benchmark!
Where is the Benchmark (2).jpg (885.57 KiB) Viewed 1964 times

The following user would like to thank punchline for this post
Bark Eater

spiderman

by spiderman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Congratulations Punchline! Getting to all of those places is an amazing sojourn and shows you what a great country we live in. Any plans for the Great One, or are you going to be 49 forever?

PreviousNext

Return to General