storing photos online instead of CD

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Diego Sahagún

Re: storing photos online instead of CD

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:34 am

SoCalHiker wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:What if your nice external HD falls hard on the ground and all your precious photos ruin :?:

Duplicate your images in internal HDs as well as external

Of course... the holy grail is to store them on multiple devices/locations. The more precious or valuable the more (separate) backups.

You can buy a solid state drive and forget about the falling to the ground issue :wink:

Aren't they still expensive :?: Well, about 200 (128Gb) to 270 (256Gb) Euros...

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:
SoCalHiker wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:What if your nice external HD falls hard on the ground and all your precious photos ruin :?:

Of course... the holy grail is to store them on multiple devices/locations. The more precious or valuable the more (separate) backups.

You can buy a solid state drive and forget about the falling to the ground issue :wink:

Aren't they still expensive :?: Well, about 200 (128Gb) to 270 (256Gb) Euros...

Yes, they still are. You have to decide how "precious" your photo collection is. For somebody who sells his/her images the price tag is certainly well worth it.

peninsula

by peninsula » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:53 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:2 external hard drives, with one kept off site to recover in the event of fire, etc. I rotate them every couple of months. so if I lose anything, it's only recent stuff. I don't want to trust 3rd parties, or keep shit online

I'll second this method. It is the way to go and you don't have to pay/trust third parties. OWC is a good online source for inexpensive hard drives and other goodies.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 pm

SoCalHiker wrote:

Solid state has a lifetime just like CD's. I don't know what that lifetime is, but it isn't infinite. The real problem with any system is technological changes. Floppies may still work, but not if you don't have a floppy drive - same is true of all of these systems (and the file formats).

Previous

Return to General