Summit Mountain in the Beartooths

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Morlow

Summit Mountain in the Beartooths

by Morlow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Has anyone ever tried climbing Summit Mountain (11,704') in the Beartooths? I'm looking to get into the Beartooths a few times this summer and from the map that peak looks like it would be a great view and potentially a great climb.

My main concern is whether it is actually climbable without ropes, having never even set eyes on it. It certainly doesn't look too steep but you never know. Having climbed Granite I know what to expect for off trail travel in the Beartooths (rough and slow).

chugach mtn boy

Re: Summit Mountain in the Beartooths

by chugach mtn boy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Having accessed that divide from the south (though not right at Summit Mountain), I can't imagine you'd have any trouble. It can be fun to just wander back there without a lot of beta, and see what you find. There's a big payoff when you reach the escarpment and look over.

A northern approach from Rosebud Creek would be more adventurous but probably fun--I'm sure it could be worked out.

Morlow

Re: Summit Mountain in the Beartooths

by Morlow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Cool. It definitely looks like an area not many people venture into.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)