Taboose Pass trail?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
xharv

Taboose Pass trail?

by xharv » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:50 am

"Mammoth Times" of August 5 reports that not only the Shepherd Pass trail is severely damaged by the thunderstorms on July 21 and 28, but also that the Taboose Pass trail is impassable to stock and very difficult for hikers and backpackers. Has anybody been at that trail/pass since? How "difficult" it is? I am also interested in what had happened to the road to the Taboose Pass trailhead. The road had been improved in 2009, but I wonder if it is still passable by a low clearance vechicle even after those storms?

mrchad9

Re: Taboose Pass trail?

by mrchad9 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:10 am

If it is impassable to stock let's hope they keep it that way!

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
AceSierra

xharv

by xharv » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 pm

I just called the Inyo NF Interagency Center in Lone Pine, and they confirmed that the trail to Taboose Pass had been 'severely' damaged. The ranger said that the *road* to the trailhead had also been affected by the flood, but that the vehicles are still reaching the trailhead "except for those that have a very low clearance". I couldn't get a clarification on what is considered "very low". Would my regular city car make it? Hopefully somebody who had visited the trail/trailhead in August could provide a more useful information. This may also be of interest to Bob's Sierra Challengers, who are starting from that trailhead on August 21.

no avatar
Raj217

by Raj217 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:46 am

Hmm.. I called the ranger station at Bishop and the ranger said that the trail was fine for backpackers and the road fine for 2WD to TH. I have permits reserved for the Labor day weekend and now I am beginning to wonder the validity of the info that I've received.

no avatar
richapple

by richapple » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:09 am

We are wondering the same things about Taboose now ('hikability' following the damage, and drivability for a 2WD - my Prius isn't as low to the ground as my Civic was, and I did have people look at us and the Prius fairly confused at the TH for Kibbie Lake after the "road" up from Cherry Reservoir a couple years ago - a drive I don't want to make again).

For Taboose, I figure I should chime in with what a ranger at White Mountain (Bishop) told me:

(Paraphrasing) Yes, trail very damaged but some have deemed 'hikable'. And no mention about the road overall, but the trailhead parking is now not at the end of the road - it's short of that a ways. Another post in here (I was shocked I'd not already registered here at summitpost - I guess I've been a "lurker" for a while) from 2011 did seem to indicate that 2WDers may be best to park at "the corral" and hike the extra half mile to the TH. So my guess is that the mud-bath that trapped the two TH-Parked cars the end of July means that just everybody parks at "the corral".

I do like the ranger reply Raj217 heard best and it would be great if it was accurate. Uh, my call was Tuesday, Aug. 20th...

xharv

by xharv » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Just to close this thread: I used the Taboose Pass trail last week. The trail is completely passable (but tough as always). Also, there is no flush flood damage on the dirt road to the trailhead, and your 2WD city vehicle can make it if you drive slowly and carefully. There is no need to park at the 'corral', you can go all the way. Note however that it took me almost 40 minutes to get from Hwy 395 to the trailhead (5.5 miles distance). If you don't care about your 2WD, no doubt you can do it faster. And of course, no problems for a 4WD whatsoever .

Return to California