Taiwan

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
rioblanco13

Taiwan

by rioblanco13 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:13 pm

Does anyone have any experience hiking and climbing in the mountains of Taiwan and is it worth it to go?

no avatar
alwick

Re: Taiwan

by alwick » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:44 am

I went there back in 1986. Went up the second highest peak called something like Hsueshan - straightforward hike up a well worn trail with a couple of old huts en-route. In spite of a lack of any decent maps (at the time) due to security worries, I managed to find my way up by following the numerous pieces of ribbon placed on trees by members of hiking clubs. Snow on top (spring) and intended to camp on summit but altitude sickness (peak is around 11-12000 feet as I recall). Largest peak in Taiwan is a bit more difficult. Good walking around cross island highway to the south although real hard terrain due to thick but small bamboo. Lots of (deadly) snakes in the undergrowth. Also did a walk through old Japanese rail line area with lots of tunnels. Well worth walking the Taroko gorge. It's a road but an amazing deep gorge with tunnels etc. Try to get hold of Lonely Planet copy of "Taiwan" as it features hiking areas. Didn't look any further than hiking but I believe there's some excellent rock climbing areas. Try the main menu of SP. Hope this helps. Worth a visit as a contrast to other mountain areas of the world.

no avatar
alwick

by alwick » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:48 am

Had a look at Taiwan part of SP and only one listed is under Yushan, highest peak. Get onto that site for more info.

no avatar
alwick

by alwick » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:58 am

Try yahoo under Taiwan mountains. Also www.lonelyplanet.com.au. Lots of good stuff. The one I climbed also called Snow mountain and is 3880 metres high. Hope this helps. Yushan would be more difficult than snow peak.

atavist

Yushan (March 6-10, 2007)

by atavist » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:13 am

Can anyone provide a quick gear list which would be prudent for Yushan next week (March 6-10)? Also looking for details on terrain such as snow conditions and steepness of the main routes.

crampons and/or snowshoes
0 degree sleeping bag or 20 degree sleeping bag
pickets or no pickets?

atavist

by atavist » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:44 pm

I can now answer my own question. The main trail is well worn and easy to follow. Even in bad conditions such as today. Apparently someone died either yesterday or the day before, I couldn't get too many details other than all the locals cautioning that the mountain is 'very dangerous!' There was no visibility and a slight wind. I was able to climb from the base (Tataka Saddle) to the summit in 3.5 hours. Snowline is met just beyond the Paiyun hut. The only gear worth carrying are crampons and an axe.

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands