Telescope Peak report: June 3-4, 2010

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
deungsan

Telescope Peak report: June 3-4, 2010

by deungsan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:05 am

I hiked Telescope Peak on June 3-4. Here are the details in case anyone is interested...

In my 2WD car with 5-6 inches of ground clearance, I got to Thorndike Campground without a problem (no bottoming out). I tried to go to Mahogany Flat, but the road seemed much more rutted and rocky than I cared to negotiate. Hiked from Thorndike to Mahogany--it was only 30 min.

Hiked from Mahogany to Arcane Meadows and camped. Next morning, tagged the summit (est. 60 degree temps there) and descended to my tent to pack up. There, I encountered the only other person on the mountain.

Still lots of snow up there, which is good if you're looking to melt it for drinking water. In a couple of places you need to cross patches of it, but no crampons or ice axes are needed.

Midday temps at the trailhead were about 80-85. If you want to go, do it soon because it's starting to get warm.

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:04 pm

If you want to post a more complete trip report you can do so under the trip reports section.

Cool, thanks for the info. That road up to Mohagony can be pretty bad - although I've seen all sorts of vehicles up there that I wouldn't dream of attempting that drive with. I've never been up Telescope in the spring; been up there twice in November. I bet it's awesome with some snow cover :)

This year we got the summit and two days later there was a storm that covered the whole range with snow. Talk about good timing since we were prepared for a nice snow-free ascent.

Return to California