The Passing Of A Dear Friend.....Brutus Of Wyde

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Boulderhound

by Boulderhound » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Can't make sense of this. I sit here with Mooch......I too was looking forward to some wild and cool trip reports along with Helmet cam pictures!!

I was invited to go along with them to Castle Rock Spire.
We were also to go to Hoffman Mtn. later this year...............................I wish we met Brutus.

Mooch(Dave) checked in with me when he was at the trailhead yesterday waiting to meet up with THE MAN!
Then a call with the terrible news. So sad. My heart goes out to ALL friends and family.

Through the internet and forums like this....we are all related.

Godspeed, Brutus of Wyde

Deb

by Deb » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:28 pm

So very tragic and senseless; what a beautiful soul lost. My heart is crushed for Em and the family. I only climbed with Bruce and Em a couple of times, and they quickly touched me as very special and lovely people. Those who were his closest climbing buddies, you were all very lucky have such a kind and giving friend.
We will all miss him tremendously.

sharperblue

Brutus

by sharperblue » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Wow. I am really stunned to read this. Even though my only contact with Bruce was in the form of a few three emails passed back and forth, his depth of knowledge and experience, as well as attitude, devotion and energy all spoke clear as bells: he was awesome. I'm so very sorry at the news.

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:06 pm

Brutus sent me this quote (his own of course) a few days ago:

"....One climb. one pitch, one move at a time."

I WILL NEVER FORGET IT!

Alpinisto

by Alpinisto » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:33 pm

OMFG, that's terrible!

I'm pretty new to the SP "family", but just reading the responses to this thread, I can easily see how loved and respected Brutus was.

Dave, I'm sorry you had to write this post and to you, DMT, Em, Chief and all the others who climbed or knew Brutus, I'll keep all of you in my prayers. Be strong.

rpc

by rpc » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:39 pm

What a sad & crushing news! I'm so sorry to hear this. What a loss. Wish I've had a chance to meet Bruce in person... in my interactions with him here on sp, he always struck me as an incredibly humble guy -- such a rarity for someone with his climbing resume!! Shirley & I always looked up to Bruce and Em as one of these rare couples that did so much climbing together...stuff that we could only aspire to. I loved Bruce's tr's here on SP - what a great style! Also, the shots that he posted radiated adventure -- I love this one:

or the one of his partners wearing hazmat suits on the approach (so classic!!!)...really fueled my desire for getting after out of the way, rarely done choss adventures here oregon.

Our deepest condolences to Em and the rest of Bruce's family and his many friends (here on SP and others)! I'm so sorry to hear of this great loss. Really - no right words to express this.
radek

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:19 pm

ditto Radeks sentiments. Not a whole lot to add really except we enjoyed a lot of the same territory and Brutus was quite complimentary and supportive. Due to a conflict, we just missed each other on the Grand Sentinel in 2007, obviously I regret that now. Just assumed we would cross paths again. We have signed several summit logs within days of each other since. My sympathies extend to friends and family.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Awoke this morning and the sun did not seem as bright as usual. Now, I know why.

I found myself reading a post heading that I literally needed to read twice because I thought I had misread it the first time.

I first read some of Brutus' trip reports while lurking on rec.climbing in the early '90's. Did not know him outside of the forums but I will miss his presence. So very sorry. Best heartfelt wishes to Em and Dingus and all his family and friends.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Very sad news. My condolences to you all that knew him personally, and to his family. :cry:

I had a number of pleasant communications with Brutus shortly adter he joined SP concerning route submissions.

I'll memorialize his profile page as directed by those who would like to have some input. Feel free to PM me with any text you would like to have in place and I'll be glad to add it. I'm in Connerecticut right now but I'll be home tomorrow and can see to this unhappy task during the week.

Again, I'm very sorry about this. SP has lost a great one today. :cry:

The Defiant One

by The Defiant One » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:08 pm

I honestly don't know what to say. I think I'm like many of us here who looked up to and admired Brutus, equally for his talents and his humility. We only met via email, and even in those brief exchanges, he made quite an impression, epitomizing my idea of a REAL climber. I'm very sad, my condolences to all his friends and family. Em, DMT, Chief...

dyusem

by dyusem » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:38 pm

I too am a SP newbie but I have come respect Brutus' straight-forward forum posts and wonderful TRs and I am saddened by this tragedy :(

He will be missed and I want to extend my condolences to his family and friends.

Unsure if a memorial is planned but I would be honored to attend...

Moni

by Moni » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:05 am

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

no avatar
banzai.barbara

by banzai.barbara » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:09 am

:shock: :cry: I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't say that I've ever met him in person, but he's struck me as a very nice SP member.
All my symapthy to his family and friends.
barb

Dragger

by Dragger » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:27 am

Crap. I'm so very sorry to hear this. Deep pit in the stomach. Heart goes out to all that knew him. Crap crap crap. :cry:

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:31 am

I'm so sorry to hear the tragic news. I unfortunately never had the chance of meeting Bruce. I always enjoyed reading his wonderful posts and TR's. His passion for life and the mountains inspire me to live every day to its fullest. My heart is with his family and friends.

PreviousNext

Return to General