The Passing Of A Dear Friend.....Brutus Of Wyde

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:43 am

Do we know yet what happened? Did he swerve to avoid a car/rockslide/animal?

Today I signed in at a DPS register book dedicated (in memoriam) to Patty Rambert. I'm sure a lot of peaks out there need new register books.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:51 am

Deepest condolences. I haven't been here long, but I remember the man having a sense of
humor here on SP.

"Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air ...

Where are the clowns?

There ought to be clowns ...
Well, maybe next year."

Judy Collins - (1975)

:(

Fury

by Fury » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:32 am

I am sad to read this. I, like many others, have enjoyed the routes descriptions, topo's, TR's and correspondence with Bruce. I would like to extend my most sincere sympathy to his family and friends. It's hard to imagine the grief and loss you must feel. - Colin

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:42 am

Such sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and loved ones "Brutus of Wyde" left behind.

Tom Kenney

by Tom Kenney » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:00 am

Been following Brutus' tales of adventure for 15+ years, since the hey day of wreck.climbing. He always struck me as one of those folks that would continue to age on the outside, while inside he'd be forever sixteen. Every time I'd read about another one of his horrible, desperate, but entirely voluntary epics, I'd feel the sweat on my fingertips and get that shaky leg.

"We each pay a fabulous price,
for our visions of paradise,
but a spirit with a vision
is a dream with a mission!"

(G. Lee)

So long, Brutus! I'll remember you always, despite never meeting you face-to-face.

gomez13

by gomez13 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:56 am

I new Bruce from our local rock gym. In the winter me and my partner and Bruce and Em would be the only people there early Sunday mornings. Watching them climb motivated me to push myself and get outside to have my own adventures. I'm going to miss seeing him.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Brewtus was one of the early posters over on rec.climbing.useful that became mtncommunity.org and was as loved and valued there as he was here. I had a lot of good comms with Bruce in the early days and always loved to hear what he had been up to. I never met him but long ago he promised to take me out for a day in the High Sierra and it was something I'd always kept in the back of my mind. Not to be. I've just walked in from the funeral of another climber, to read this terrible news. Thanks for the notice, Dave. My sincere condolences to Em and all who loved Bruce. This community is the better for his life. He will be missed.

D

mrh

by mrh » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:27 pm

What a terrible thing to start the day off hearing. Now my mood is like the wet gray outside. I did not know him of course and with my interests and location, its almost certain I would have never met him. Still his personality and the type of person he was really showed through his activity here. I have always held him in the highest regard. Someone who was above nearly all of us in his abilities and experiences and conduct. I have always held the highest respect for him; even a reverence for the great and humble man. My heart goes out to all who are affected by this, especially those who knew him closely.

jvarholak

by jvarholak » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:26 pm

words are tough to find.... thoughts are spinning out of control.... although we tend to live in search of answers, the tough part is trying to live with the questions.
RIP BoW.... you will be dearly missed... my sympathies to his family and friends
john

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:30 pm

This is awful.

I never met Brutus, but his posts on the few websites he frequented were savvy and reflected a high level of experience (an understatement, I know). My sense was that he had no big hoo-ha about what he did, how he did it, or how frequently he did it. He was an honorable guy with a love of climbing and respectable patience for those still testing the waters.

This is a sad time for the climbing community. My condolences to his family, close friends, and those who had the privilige of spending a day with him. He will be greatly missed.

madeintahoe

by madeintahoe » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:35 pm

So very sorry to have read the passing of Brutus..I had read a few of his TR and very much enjoyed them...he wrote so lovely...it is obvious his love for wild places.

To his family and friends my thoughts are with you...so very sorry.

JasonH

by JasonH » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 pm

I never got the chance to meet Brutus, but his post and TR's were wildly entertaining. He seemed like a really cool dude.

My deepest heartfelt condolences go out to anybody that knew and love him.

Rest in peace Brutus.

Frostbite

by Frostbite » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:19 am

Wow.

My sincere condolences to all who knew him and whose lives he touched.

~thoughts and prayers~

ktnbs

by ktnbs » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:18 am

My deepest sympathies.

norco17

by norco17 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:37 am

I am very sorry to all of you that knew him for your loss.
Rest in Peace

PreviousNext

Return to General