The Pirate

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
dskoon

by dskoon » Fri May 28, 2010 2:37 pm

redneck wrote:
MikeTX wrote:i just hope he's acclimating properly before he does all that safe climbing.

Excellent!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri May 28, 2010 3:11 pm

MikeTX wrote:i just hope he's acclimating properly before he does all that safe climbing.

Oh he most certainly does.

He drives from Sea Level to 4k and spends many a night there till he begins to climb high and sleep low. Obviously repeatedly exhibited by his consistent ascending and rapid descending, safely. It is only obvious by his long successful track record, that he and his partners always follow all the standard and well established safety procedures while pushing themselves during their HARD and BOLD climbing attempts.

But then, you should know all this living and climbing here at a constant alt of no more than 689' for hundreds of miles around....

simonov

by simonov » Fri May 28, 2010 3:20 pm

The Chief wrote:But then, you should know all this living and climbing here at a constant alt of no more than 689' for hundreds of miles around....

Dunno. Last time I saw Mike from TX he woke up at ten feet above sea level and within seven hours he was standing at 10,000 feet.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri May 28, 2010 3:57 pm

redneck wrote:Dunno. Last time I saw Mike from TX he woke up at ten feet above sea level and within seven hours he was standing at 10,000 feet.

After taking one of these...

Then driving up in one of these of course...

to just below the summit of this citified peak...

And then walking up an hour or so on the well established trail to the summit... Right?

Of course, being that everyone does it, makes it safe and all should go and do it on a regular basis.

So, how big and heavy was your pack Mike from Tx?

You all are killing me..........

OK, I apologize Mike. I was trying to give you a little credit with some altitude. This photo should be more appropriate correct?

simonov

by simonov » Fri May 28, 2010 4:02 pm

The Chief wrote:Then driving up in one of these of course...

Dude, we drove up in one of these:

The rear independent suspension was most useful when we had to take the Glendora Ridge Road home.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri May 28, 2010 4:41 pm

MikeTX wrote:fwiw, i really liked the video. i'm all pumped now about going climbing this weekend. i believe we will climb to an elevation over 1000 feet. i'll be sure to sleep low though.

You better!

I am out the door to meet Ksolem and his lovely Wife here....Image which is a terrible 10-15 minute drive down a dirt road from my house.

Be safe and have fun Mike.

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Sat May 29, 2010 10:57 pm

Awesome link on first page. Thanks for posting.

In the fall he takes, how the fear instantly turns into a dopamine rush - like he's almost overcome all fear and rides high on the elation. No wonder it's so addictive. He's really living to the max.

And as Ammon says "I'd rather live 40 years of excitement, and fun and exhilaration and full volume than 80 years of la de da..., boring. Why not get out there and live it." Says it all. 8) 8) 8)

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Sun May 30, 2010 2:40 pm

And another thing to notice about the VID. Even in the fall, Ammon is thinking. See the two skips he makes with his feet to keep him straight to the wall and protect himself. That's the brain working in time dilation mode (when your life is rushing before you). 8)

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun May 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Catamount wrote:There was only one Pirate and his name was Ray Genet. :wink:

Ray was in fact the "Pirate of Denali" (read "Minus 148 Degrees: The First Winter Ascent of Mount McKinley ") as Ammon is the "Pirate of El Cap."

Let's remember that their are different "Pirates" that rule different parts of the world. Each having their own area in which they govern.

Good eye Ray on Ammon's constant thinking!!!!

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Sun May 30, 2010 10:39 pm

I suppose having had a fall myself, I came to experience the amazing phenomenon of time dilation (though I expect it is more that the brain is working super fast and very focussed). Albeit that my fall was at a rock gym, where in Santa Clara my second failed to take in after a series of moves. I fell quite a ways and landed on the rubber decking, but I sure had time to think. Something akin to being in The Zone, or they are one and the same thing.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:51 pm

RayMondo wrote:amazing phenomenon of time dilation

Extremely real, unusual and quite an experience if one can live to share it.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Yeah that's a cool clip. If your interested in seeing the whole film that the scene is cut from check this out! I just watched it a bit ago, and its a good one!

http://www.spgear.org/gear/7112/the-sharp-end.html

PreviousNext

Return to General