The Pirate

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
RayMondo

by RayMondo » Sun May 30, 2010 2:40 pm

And another thing to notice about the VID. Even in the fall, Ammon is thinking. See the two skips he makes with his feet to keep him straight to the wall and protect himself. That's the brain working in time dilation mode (when your life is rushing before you). 8)

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun May 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Catamount wrote:There was only one Pirate and his name was Ray Genet. :wink:

Ray was in fact the "Pirate of Denali" (read "Minus 148 Degrees: The First Winter Ascent of Mount McKinley ") as Ammon is the "Pirate of El Cap."

Let's remember that their are different "Pirates" that rule different parts of the world. Each having their own area in which they govern.

Good eye Ray on Ammon's constant thinking!!!!

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Sun May 30, 2010 10:39 pm

I suppose having had a fall myself, I came to experience the amazing phenomenon of time dilation (though I expect it is more that the brain is working super fast and very focussed). Albeit that my fall was at a rock gym, where in Santa Clara my second failed to take in after a series of moves. I fell quite a ways and landed on the rubber decking, but I sure had time to think. Something akin to being in The Zone, or they are one and the same thing.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:51 pm

RayMondo wrote:amazing phenomenon of time dilation

Extremely real, unusual and quite an experience if one can live to share it.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Yeah that's a cool clip. If your interested in seeing the whole film that the scene is cut from check this out! I just watched it a bit ago, and its a good one!

http://www.spgear.org/gear/7112/the-sharp-end.html

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:59 pm

zodis wrote:Pirates? How did they get from the waters of Somalia to climbing cliffs in Yosemite? :o

The same way you got from PA to this area...

They stole from the rich and then hitch hiked, Matey!

MScholes

by MScholes » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:40 am

Dow Williams wrote:
RayMondo wrote:amazing phenomenon of time dilation

Extremely real, unusual and quite an experience if one can live to share it.

When I had my car wreck a little over 2 years ago now, I saw the wreck coming but couldn't do anything as my car had spun out of control and the guard rail was barelling towards me at 60 mp/h on a ice covered highway, time definetly feels slow motion.

I drive that area now, from where my windsheild shattered (from another vehicle) to the actual crash at the guardrail, there was maybe 5 seconds of actual time, but I still think back and it was unreal the amount of stuff that went through my mind as I saw it coming. I've taken 1 pretty nasty fall while climbing as well and while my thoughts certainly aren't as vivid (although to be fair, the climbing fall was one that I knew that I'd eventually recover from, the wreck... definetly lucky to have gotten out of that with only 2 weeks in the hospital and a few months of physio). The time dilation that I felt when in that car wreck was surreal and hard to explain to anyone who hasn't experienced it themselves... the word's "slow motion" just doesn't do it justice.

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:06 pm

It's an interesting subject this apparent time dilation (or being in the "Zone", as it's more often known in sports). I came across a UK researcher at Brunel University in West London. The recognised name for this state is "Flow State", proposed by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi

<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)>Flow State</a>

In the link, items 1 thru 11 describe it in some detail. It is achievable by various techniques and circumstances, including meditation, bio-feedback, being in dire situations, though it can happen spontaneously. I achieved it twice spontaneously in racket sport, when I played out of my skull. A very enjoyable and empowering experience. An analogy is "being on autopilot", which gives you the mental freedom to be intensely focussed, but without effort.

I recommend investigating it for yourselves. It's just awesome to be "there".

Previous

Return to General