The Subaru Thread

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 am

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Hey SLR...

is that thing tall enough for a 6 footer to stand up in without stooping?

(I really like the idea of a sportsmobile pop-up style roof but these are cheaper I'm seeing... but I don't like the idea of a permanent bubble top and that thing would never fit in my garage (not that a 4wd sportsmobile would either mind you)

Just curious... is it rigged for camping or dual purpose passenger duty?

DMT

DMT,

I'm 72 inches tall and can stand up inside with room to spare. Makes it a great ski machine, especially when there's a nasty blizzard outside. You can change clothes in comfort.

The vehicle is too tall to fit in any garage and so sits in the driveway. High winds and the large surface area from such a tall vehicle can make for some spontaneous lane changes that can be quite interesting.... I don't drive the van in high wind anymore, scares the shit out me.

The engine is plenty powerful, I climb the mountains here without any problems. It doesn't handle the curves very well, in that regard I've gotta drive slow and gear down.

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask about "camping or dual purpose passenger duty." There's a lengthwise bench in the back that folds out into a twin bed, so I can carry 3 passengers back there if I need to. There are two Captain's chairs up front. The remaining accessories (electric stove, microwave, etc.) are all permanently installed. Does that answer your question?

My ball-and-chain (common law wife) doesn't do tent camping, so I got the van so she could join me. Most of the time it's just the two of us, we pack the back with gear (kayaks, scuba tanks, etc.) and hit the road. I've looked at other vehicles like the pop-top VW, but they're too small. If it were just me, I'd go for a regular 4x4 van without the conversion or bubble top, and modify it myself to have a bed shelf, a bunch of storage, a roof-top kayak rack, and an awning. We installed mosquito netting over the side doors with zippered flaps so that we can sleep with the doors open (as pictured).

These things are difficult to find, I found this one in Albuquerque and drove it cross-country to West Virginia. They're even more difficult to get financing and insurance because no one knows what they're worth, or whether it's a van or an RV.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:23 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:These things are difficult to find,

There are ads for new ones in the backs of several magazines on a regular basis. NG Adventure has ads for them every month.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:55 am

What a better reason to get a Subaru than the new Outback Detergent? It is one of the first detergents specially formulated to keep up with the all-new Subaru Outback.

Here's great commercial for the new Outback Detergent. I especially like the scene where they rap off a pinnacle....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDRyDAtLYo

peakbagger

Detergent...

by peakbagger » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Love our Soobie, but have to say Outback detergent is not effective for 3-month-old fried rice stuck in between the seats.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Here's great commercial for the new Outback Detergent. I especially like the scene where they rap off a pinnacle....

I'll have to give that approach a shot. Much fast to just hold the rope than to waste all that time setting up anchors!

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:41 am

Lookin at some Thursday. Hopefully I can join the subaru nation. Idk what more to look at btwn the forrester or outback. Having car payments will suck!

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:25 am

xDoogiex wrote:Lookin at some Thursday. Hopefully I can join the subaru nation. Idk what more to look at btwn the forrester or outback. Having car payments will suck!

Essentially the Outback is a mini Forester. I have to bend down too far to get into an Outback so I went with the Forester.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:45 am

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:Lookin at some Thursday. Hopefully I can join the subaru nation. Idk what more to look at btwn the forrester or outback. Having car payments will suck!

Essentially the Outback is a mini Forester. I have to bend down too far to get into an Outback so I went with the Forester.

The two models are based on different chassis; the older Forester had a shorter wheelbase, even though it was taller. The two have changed over the years, and the clearance is now about the same. Both are unibody, originally based on legacy (some outbacks) and impreza (Forester) car chassis.

Chris

by Chris » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:42 pm

xDoogiex wrote:Since I'm a broke ass and need a new car bad and don't know how to drive stick, probably gonna get a used forrester or outback. Any special years to stay away from?

The 98-02' 2.5L engines were the ones w/ all the head-gasket failures. Mine was an '02... failed at around 60,000 miles and was $2500 to repair.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:24 am

Damn. I got an 01 Forester S

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:02 am

xDoogiex wrote:Damn. I got an 01 Forester S

Okay, that PROVES yer gay. Now go climb Mt. Sunflower.

Yeti

by Yeti » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:22 am

MoapaPk wrote:
Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Essentially the Outback is a mini Forester. I have to bend down too far to get into an Outback so I went with the Forester.

The two models are based on different chassis;

Correct, it bears noting that the outback is actually the bigger car, the forrester just has more headroom.

The Subaru headgaskets can be a problem. Fortunately, these are some of the easiest engines in the world to work on, so most small shops will dot he job without assraping you like a Dealership will. I've heard of guys doing the job without even pulling the engine out.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:46 am

That makes me feel better.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:55 pm

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:10 pm

That's where the carpet helps!

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander