Touring in Sierra

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
alpinelady1

Touring in Sierra

by alpinelady1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 am

Anyone has a tour to reccomend? Looking for 2-4 days out. 4-8 miles with 2500-5000ft of elevation gain a day. Can start on the East or the West side. Hopefully slopes with gradual down hill terrain, not too steep. Scenic is a must.

Photos and topos with your route drawn are a bonus. But not a must. :D

Thanks

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: Touring in Sierra

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 am

When?

EDIT:
What tme of year? Winter? Spring? Summer? Now?
Last edited by Sierra Ledge Rat on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:16 pm

I heard of a good route that goes by the Evolution region. You should contact "MooseTracks" (Laura) she does a lot of stuff on her skis.

ROL

by ROL » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Paiute Pass

Now, what do I get for my bonus? (Sorry – snide, snarky, hate-filled responses are not considered a bonus here on SP as they are the norm.)

The following user would like to thank ROL for this post
Princess Buttercup

robertjoy

by robertjoy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:32 am

Ansel Adams Wilderness, Agnew Meadows Trailhead. Loop to Lake Ediza, Garnet Lake, 1000 Island Lake and back. Check YouTube for videos of scenery at these Lakes. In a "normal" snow year you will be happiest hiking any time mid-July thru September.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm

robertjoy wrote:Ansel Adams Wilderness, Agnew Meadows Trailhead. Loop to Lake Ediza, Garnet Lake, 1000 Island Lake and back. Check YouTube for videos of scenery at these Lakes. In a "normal" snow year you will be happiest hiking any time mid-July thru September.

I believe the OP is looking to ski not hike...

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:00 pm

96avs01 wrote:I believe the OP is looking to ski not hike...

Presumptious.

There's not enough info in the OP to know.

But it's OBE, the OP has buggered off anyway.

no avatar
alpinelady1

by alpinelady1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:13 am

Sierra Ledge Rat, touring as in alpine touring (skiing). Sorry for not making it more obvious. I will have more free time in the end of February and March. Buggered off due to a vacation. I am not much of an internet person.
As a climber I am familiar with Eastern Sierra during summer month, but have not done much climbing during the winter. Therefore, I am not familiar with which trail-heads/routes would be appropriate.

Robertjoy, loop to lake Ediza sounds fun. I have done the classic 5.9 on the South face of Clyde minaret along with a partial traverse of the Minarets. That trip had me wondering about how beautiful the peaks wpuld be in winter. The rock sure must be more stable! Is Agnew meadow trail-head accessible in winter?

no avatar
paulzo

by paulzo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:19 am

alpinelady1 wrote: Is Agnew meadow trail-head accessible in winter?

In the winter you have to start from the june lakes road or from the Mammoth Ski area to get in there. But definitely some nice touring in that area.
Another great spot for ski touring on the east side is Piute Pass. In the winter the road is closed at Aspendell; in the spring it will open p usually for the troutseason opener (last Saturday in April) to the north lake road, whihc sometimes has enough snow to ski still but more often you have to walk a mile or two to the solid snow. Then it is a fairly easy ski up to Piute Pass, where the views are great and the whole Humphreys Basin is a touring paradise, plus you can get over the ridge to the head of French Canyon for more.

The following user would like to thank paulzo for this post
alpinelady1

Return to California