Trail Sign for The Jumpoff?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
MarkDidier

Trail Sign for The Jumpoff?

by MarkDidier » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Does anyone know if there is a sign for the spur trail to The Jumpoff in the Smokies? It has been quite a few years since I was on The Boulevard and there wasn't a sign for the trail then, but there had been one before. I plan to head down to the Smokies in the spring and was hoping to take some first timers out to The Jumpoff...so just wondering if we're going to be able to find the trail, or if we're going to have to bushwhack. Thanks!

johnmnichols

by johnmnichols » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:33 pm

I don't think there is a sign there, but I'm not 100% positive. Either way, it's a pretty obvious trail and it's very close to the Boulevard Trail / AT intersection so should be hard to miss.

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:51 pm

I don't recall ever seeing a trail sign. But it's almost impossible to miss.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:01 pm

It was quite a few years ago when the sign was there, but even then the spur trail had a lot of brush at the start - almost like bushwhacking, and it wasn't obvious. Maybe there has been some trail maintenance since then. Thanks for the input.

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:24 am

You know what...it has been about five years since I've been...and since I've never had any trouble finding the trail, I reckon it's possible that there IS a sign! I sometimes forget obvious details like that.

johnmnichols

by johnmnichols » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Was up there yesterday and there is indeed a sign for the Jumpoff spur trail. The Jumpoff is also listed on the sign at the AT/Boulevard intersection.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)