Trekking near Dehli or Sikkim

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
rpiontek

Trekking near Dehli or Sikkim

by rpiontek » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:22 am

Flying to Delhi on Oct 15 and looking to do some trekking. I have the Lonely Planet trekking northern India book. It seems there are two options as it's too late in the season to head too far north. There are some possible treks that seem to be doable as far as weather is concerned not far northeast of Delhi. The other option is to travel east to the Darjeeling or Sikkim areas. I'm leaning towards staying closer to Delhi. Anyone have any thoughts or experience here?

I guess one thing I'm wondering is how feasible it is to organize one of these treks without hiring a company or guide. I have not done a trip like this before. I tend to be optimistic and think that I can basically show up and it will work out, but my wife doesn't really share the same view. Mostly I'm interested in 'easy' treks, probably staying in 'trekking huts' or whatever is available rather than bringing a tent. Too lazy to carry the extra gear around for the non-trekking part of the trip. Can I count on the trekking huts and lodges having space or do they fill up? How is navigation? The trek I was looking at was to the pindari glacier ending at place called Zero Point. Is food available along the way in the huts? Any advice is appreciated!

Return to Asia