Trekking poles model?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Go to an REI or other store and look at them for real.

It will soon be apparent that a $20 has no chance of holding up to any serious use.

If money is a big deal you can get non adjustable ski poles used for really cheap. Buy them long and choke down on them on the ascents.

radson

by radson » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:42 pm

In my opinion, dont get twist lock poles. They are bloody annoying. I like flick-lock, they dont fuck up as much.

FlatheadNative

by FlatheadNative » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:50 pm

I personaly think treking poles offer quite a few advantages over an ice axe or using nothing at all.

From a simple search on the internet I found the following "scientific" information from :slackpacker.com

"A landmark study published by Dr. G. Neureuther in 1981 proved that use of "ski poles" while walking reduces the pressure strain on the opposite leg by approximately 20%. Furthermore, while walking on level ground, poles reduce the body weight carried by the legs by approximately 5 kg every step. Move to an incline, and that reduction increases to 8 kg. This translates into tons of weight -- yes, tons -- for even a two hour hike."

There is probably even more benefit using poles while climbing as the pressure to the joints is more than likely greater in off trail use than in hiking along a human trail. If you are interested in reducing the wear and tear on your joints consider using trekking poles.

I also know that for both ascending and even more for descending slopes that are strewn with rocks of various shapes and sizes poles enable more security as they extend your reach down to the ground offering more stability thus increasing safety and stability. Perhaps they are a pain to store in a pack when they are not in use while climbing through material that requires the usage of both hands but in my opinion it is a small price to pay for the remainder of the route that allows usage of the poles.

There is a big difference between the crap walking poles that the "Marts" import from China and the poles that are actually trekking poles....many times you get what you pay for.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:13 pm

I have never paid more than $30.00 for a pair of trekking poles (often used) and they hold up just fine. I have never broke a pair but have lost poles or left them behind as deadman rappel anchors. Atlas, the snowshoe manufacturer, sells a fine pair of poles in the $30.00 range.

For what I have seen, the more expensive poles offer lighter weight, spring loaded shock absorbers, self warming grips and similar nice to have but certainly non essential features.

I live in an area known as the Issaquah Alps, training ground for the worlds best ultrarunners (e.g. Scott Jurek and Uli Steidl). I have seen plently of hikers using sawn off broom sticks to good effect in these mountains.

no avatar
alpinejason

by alpinejason » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:05 pm

i have a pair that i'll sell you. they're leki makalu. brand new never used, still have the original rubber band holding the pair together. probably the $100 model in '08.

i've never been sold on the poles. my two feet are enough to manage. despite the scientific evidence that it takes weight off your legs i don't really see it. unless i consciously put weight on them all they're good for is poking rocks.

i'd like to see a scientific study of comparing the number of falls for people with poles and those without. it's my opinion that people get clumsier (or careless?) with poles in hand. using them like a crutch, literally, to make up for poor foot placements. eh. so i gave 'em up a couple years ago.

so i'll sell them to you. pm me if interested.

Snowy

by Snowy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:45 am

radson wrote:In my opinion, dont get twist lock poles. They are bloody annoying. I like flick-lock, they dont fuck up as much.

+1

rlshattuck

crappy poles can cost as much as $10, 000 . . .

by rlshattuck » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:41 am

Spend some bucks on a decent pair of poles, like the LEKI MAKALU.

My dad recently went trekking in Nepal and I tried to tell him to spend the bucks for a good pair of poles, but my Mom and her wal-mart sensibilities got to him first and he went over there with a junk pair that cost, I think, $15.00 (fifteen dollars) which made my mom feel really good, like she found a great deal.

Then, on some high pass one of his poles gave out, telescoped down and off he went, tumbling down the mountain, stopping just sort of the last edge he'd ever see . . .

Took a team of porters and sherpa to piggy-back him down to where a chopper could come in for him. One broken Femur, big gash in his forehead and lots of bruises and somewhere between ten and eleven grand to fly him back to kathmandu and fix him up.

Do the math. Don't buy junk poles. Makalu's are bomber. had the the same pair now for about 12 years (9 JMT's, 1 nepal trek, lots of snow camping and short trips and the poles are still rock solid)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:51 am

Whatever system you get, don't store the poles "locked."

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:53 am

Hi, I have a pair of Black Diamond Trail poles and they are awesome.

Differences between a cheapo unit? Plenty.

1. Comfortable extended grips that allow multiple hand positions
2. Very nice adjustable straps
3. Easy to use flip locks (even with gloves) that make length adjustment a snap
4. Screw in snow baskets included
5. Durable tungsten carbide tips
6. Readily available parts just in case

hikingMaineac

by hikingMaineac » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Don't have a link, sorry - but I've heard that Walmart sells trekking poles with the lever-locking mechanism as well as the twist-locking style: both for a good price.

Personally, I own 2 pairs of twist-locking poles (both Komperdell, both purchased while an LL Bean employee for less than $5 at the E-store) and have had them collapse on me when I needed them most (when falling on a descent) AND had them freeze up on me in the winter to the point where I had to exhale warm air on them for some time before I could adjust them... BUT... I still haven't coughed up the extra dough for a new pair, but can't wait until my current ones die so I have to.

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Having a little forward angle to the handle is nice; I found without it I would sometimes get some wrist pain bombing down a steep trail fast (e.g, Columbia River gorge hikes).

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Yesterday both my wife and I vowed to never buy twist-lock style hiking poles again. Give me flick-locks!

hers: Leki
mine: Komperdell

both: fail.

no avatar
aemter

by aemter » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:27 pm

+1 for flicklocks. I've never owned a pair, but I do own twistlocks Komperdells and they are OK, but no matter how tight I twist them, they always seem to loosen (and therefore shorten) after some mileage. Another crappy thing is that once they are wet or your hands are wet or cold, it's very tough to tighten them.

My next pair will be flicklocks for sure. As a side note, I've seen quite a few pairs of Leki and Black Diamond poles on steepandcheap.com in the past few weeks for around 40-50/pair.

Next

Return to Gear