Tribute to Jean Christophe Lafaille

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
kabernicola

Tribute to Jean Christophe Lafaille

by kabernicola » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:24 am

All the evidences tell us that we have lost one of the biggest alpinist for ever. from this site my dep felt tribute to him:
He was rock climber (till 8c, 8a soloing). Later he was a great alpinist (several routes opened in Alps).
Today he was an awesome himalayist. He had already 10 8000´s, always in a great style, giving preference to this concept over the summit: New route in the Makalu II, alpine stile in seven days, South face of Shisha in a very pure style climbed in december. (for him this was always more important than the summit), 15 km on the east ridge of Annapurna alpine style, of course.
Now he was trying to climb solo and in winter the normal route of Majkalu and since January tjhe 30th we don´t have any news from him.
You were a great alpinist and you always tryed to push the limits upwards, THANK YOU JEAN CHRISTOPHE

Charles

Re: Tribute to Jean Christophe Lafaille

by Charles » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:33 pm

yes, I second that!

ben jammin

by ben jammin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:54 pm

It's particularly poignant that the <a href="http://www.alpinist.com/issues/Alpinist_14/">current issue</a> of <i>Alpinist</i> magazine has a long autobiographical article by Jean-Christophe Lafaille, in which he talks about his many achievements, close scrapes and also his motivation to go into the mountains and risk everything, while trying to balance this with his personal life and commitment to his family.

Corax

by Corax » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:52 pm

Yes, thanks J-C.
It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire

chris.mueller

by chris.mueller » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:10 am

My sincerest condolences go out to JC and his friends, family and kids. I followed the reports on his website. Great lost for the alpine community. Very sad.

Return to Europe