Two Climbers killed on Ampato in Peru

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Vic Hanson

Two Climbers killed on Ampato in Peru

by Vic Hanson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:55 pm

I just got this information from missionary friends in Cotahuasi, where I used to live. Here is the only information in the news that I can find on it.

http://www.livinginperu.com/news/page/2

Search for missing mountain climber continues in Arequipa, Peru

LivinginPeru.com
Isabel Guerra

Despite the bad weather, a group of agents from the High Mountain Rescue Unit continues searching for the missing alpinist, who disappeared after yesterday's avalanche, who has now been identified as David Llerena Sanchez, aged 26.

So far the police has recovered only the body of Jolwer Peña Ccoalata, 29 years old, who died during the same accident, when local residents, authorities and tourists were coming back after celebrating a native ceremony called pagapu.

Meanwhile, Peru's meteorologic service said that weather conditions were not appropriate, so the group should not have attempted this expedition.

However, there is not any official institution in Chivay, capital of Caylloma, that provides reliable information about the weather condition on the peaks.

Ampato peak became internationally famous a few years ago when archaeologist Johann Reinhard found there the mummy called "The Lady of Ampato."

I just received an email from a friend who was on the climb. Her and another friend were climbing the mountain at the same time, but with a different club (Huellas Andinas). She said the other two clubs were very disorganized and didn`t have the proper equipment, nor experience. My friend`s club stopped before they reached the summit because the snow was very soft but the other two clubs went on up. They did get some snow on them from the avalanch but were able to assist the mountain police for an hour in search and rescue. This friend is a doctor and was able to use CPR to revive some of them that they rescued, including two of the police. By this time they were exhausted and had to go back down while the police continued the search. I`m not sure why, but there were some of the high mountain rescue police with them on the climb.

She also said the early news reports in Arequipa said they didn`t do anything to help, and headed down right away. They later visited some of the TV stations with photos to set the record straight.

Vic Hanson

Second Body Recovered on Volcano in Peru

by Vic Hanson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:06 pm

I just found an update about the Ampato climb.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=357995&CategoryId=14095

LIMA – A rescue team recovered the body of a man who had been reported missing over the weekend following an avalanche on the snow-covered Ampato volcano in the southern Peruvian province of Arequipa.

The body of David Llerena Sanchez, 26, was found by a mountain rescue team on Tuesday.

Another unidentified avalanche victim’s body had been recovered on Monday.

The avalanche occurred early Sunday as a large group of people stood on the slope.

About 40 people, including Cailloma Gov. Jorge Cueva, had climbed the volcano Saturday for a traditional ceremony to mark the region’s anniversary.

The group was made up of residents and tourists, and the avalanche caught the people who were in the front of the group. EFE

Return to South America