Two climbers recued on Mt Tibrogargan

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.
Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:58 pm

Two climbers have been rescued on Mt Tibrogargan. They were winched off after managing to reconstruct a shattered cell phone to call out.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 758104.htm

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:09 am

Yet again a couple of total beginners underestimate Tibro because of it's lack of total height.

That brings it to something like a dozen people rescued off the hill this year and the local rescue teams are starting to get pissed off with it. Trouble is, to the non-climbing newspaper readership, the stupidity of these dickheads reflects badly on genuine climbers and does nothing to resolve the issues about nearby Coonowrin being closed for climbing.

I've tried and tried to get it through people's heads in the carpark that , even on the "tourist route" I wouldn't take kids up without a hard hat and rope and, if you are trying anything other than the "tourist route" (west face) you will need gear.

Dear God, it's like trying to ring Moscow - you just can't get through!

While we're here, it's worth pointing out that the "Caves route" on the East face (The second easiest route) is graded at 4 (Ewbank) which makes it sound easy, but beware, it's undergraded, very exposed, and an unprotected fall from some places on the route will kill you. No ifs or buts.

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:14 pm

I should have said Two Would Be "Climbers" Rescued on Tibrogargan
Read Dadndave's excellent page on Mt Tibro
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... argan.html

Return to Oceania and Pacific Islands