Two Kings Loop

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
kolbi2112

Two Kings Loop

by kolbi2112 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for some information on the Two Kings Loop. This is the one that starts at Road's End, goes north on the Copper Creek trail, through Simpson Meadow, then north to the JMT, then southeast to the Rae Lakes region and back to Road's End on the Woods Creek trail. I've been able to find some scattered info throughout the web and various books, but nothing specific to the entire loop. Would appreciate any tips or advice on trail conditions, camps, water, etc. from those who may have traveled this route before.

I'm heading up there on Aug 17 and plan on 5 days / 6 nights to complete the journey.

Thanks!
Matt

mrchad9

Re: Two Kings Loop

by mrchad9 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:15 pm

I've done all of that at various times except the bit from Daugherty Meadow to the JMT. Not sure specifically what you are asking... but...

I wouldn't hesitate to drink any water on that route. I've had it unfiltered from all over that area.

Try to start quite early, like 6:00 AM if you can or close to it. Roads End can be very hot and its nice to get up Copper Creek before the sun hits it.

When I did the JMT the stretch to Deer Meadow was covered in fallen trees and had been for years. Tedious... but that was years ago.

We had a nice camp at Lake 3535 by Mount Prater below Mather Pass. If you go about 1/2 mile from the trail to some nice lake, you will probably have anyplace all to yourself even if the JMT is crowded.

Lake Marjorie can been crowded, but you never know for sure till you get there.

Snow and stream crossings won't be an issue.

You have a high potential for bear sightings along Woods Creek all the way to Roads End. Good swimming hole in Woods Creek where it meets South Fork of the Kings River.

kolbi2112

by kolbi2112 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Thanks mrchad, very helpful. Do you know if there are any places to camp between Granite Pass and Simpson Meadow?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:13 am

Maybe in Dougherty Meadow, I actually cut off right before that to head to State Lakes and Peak.

Other than that options are severely limited. You'd just have some random unused spot in the woods near a small creek. Not really ideal.

The meadows just north of Granite Pass are super scenic and would do. But that's very close to the pass. Above 10000 feet.

ROL

by ROL » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:29 am

Trail sign at base of switchbacks out of Simpson Meadow:

Return to California