Used guidebooks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
mvs

Used guidebooks

by mvs » Tue May 30, 2006 1:00 pm

Hi all,
I've been drooling over the Rother guidebooks to various areas of the eastern alps...Ortler, Wetterstein, etc. But these books are expensive, over 20 euros.

I just walked around Munich today at lunch going into used books stores. They are full of ADAC guides to Croatia and things like that. Where could I find used mountaineering guidebooks? Or maps, anything.

If you say on the innernets, post a link, because I am lost there too in a sea of "antiquitären" online shops.

Danke! :lol:
--Michael

Moni

by Moni » Tue May 30, 2006 2:31 pm

Try this. Its a database that seraches all the antiquariats. I put in Kletterführer and got 13 hits. The first, Münchner Kletterführer. 250 der lohnensten Kletterfahrten in den Vorbergen und imbayrisch-tirolischen Grenzgebiet , 1923 for 9 Euros. Maybe older than you want, but then, the climbs and areas themselves should not have changed that much.

mvs

by mvs » Tue May 30, 2006 4:09 pm

Moni wrote:Try this. Its a database that seraches all the antiquariats. I put in Kletterführer and got 13 hits. The first, Münchner Kletterführer. 250 der lohnensten Kletterfahrten in den Vorbergen und imbayrisch-tirolischen Grenzgebiet , 1923 for 9 Euros. Maybe older than you want, but then, the climbs and areas themselves should not have changed that much.

Thanks Moni. I guess that's a good point. Although it really feels wierd, showing up at the klettergebiet with a dusty book printed in that "old english" kind of font. I'll be chopping steps up to the first pitch, munching on sausage as I uncoil my hemp rope. :lol:

Charles

by Charles » Tue May 30, 2006 4:52 pm

If you´re in the DAV, the local sections often have very good libraries. Try that out. If you´re not a member, then join, they need the money to keep the huts and paths going. :D

Cheers

Charles

Jay Power

by Jay Power » Tue May 30, 2006 5:03 pm

It's always worth trying eBay. I found a few Alpine Club guidebooks on there not so long ago. They were all dated from the early 1970's but who cares at one third of the price.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue May 30, 2006 8:03 pm

Besides, some of the good AVFs aren't available anymore, so checking eBay or the antiquariats definitely is worthwhile.

On the other hand the newer versions (the green ones) are generally much better organized than the older (80s) white ones.

Decisions...

:wink:

Charles

by Charles » Tue May 30, 2006 10:24 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:Besides, some of the good AVFs aren't available anymore, so checking eBay or the antiquariats definitely is worthwhile.

On the other hand the newer versions (the green ones) are generally much better organized than the older (80s) white ones.

Decisions...

have to be careful with descriptions that mention glacier approaches, might not be there anymore. Actually I´m serious here (for a change) Old alpine guide books might in some cases be describing totally changed routes or even faces now!

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue May 30, 2006 10:45 pm

charles wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:Besides, some of the good AVFs aren't available anymore, so checking eBay or the antiquariats definitely is worthwhile.

Decisions...

have to be careful with descriptions that mention glacier approaches, might not be there anymore. Actually I´m serious here (for a change) Old alpine guide books might in some cases be describing totally changed routes or even faces now!

In that case everything pre-2003 is outdated :-(

mvs

by mvs » Tue May 30, 2006 10:58 pm

Decisions...

Yeah, I'm looking at the Bergverlag Rother catalog now. I don't like the way guides for some areas are divided into "alpin" (routes grade II and below) and "extrem" editions. Obviously you'd have to buy them both. I think Dilbert's boss had a hand in this. :wink:

Charles

by Charles » Wed May 31, 2006 7:40 am

Gangolf Haub wrote:
charles wrote:

Decisions...

Not everything :D :D
In that case everything pre-2003 is outdated :-(

Wandering Sole Images

by Wandering Sole Images » Wed May 31, 2006 8:24 am

I've found sites like http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ very useful to find any kind of book you want. It allows you to see what used bookstores from all around the world have for sale. I found some good books on the Andes this way.

mvs

thanks all

by mvs » Wed May 31, 2006 12:11 pm

Thanks Hulio, that is a good site. Now, I found that a veritable Bergverlag Rother "factory outlet" is just around the corner from me. Must...not...spend...:p

Return to Europe