Vallecito - Water Crossing

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
WalksWithBlackflies

Vallecito - Water Crossing

by WalksWithBlackflies » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Hey guys --- I'm travelling from Syracuse to the San Juans next week. I've heard about high water in CO due to the late snow melt this year, and I am hoping someone can verify that Vallecito Creek is now crossable at the ford south of Johnson Creek. I'd hate to get all the way out there to find that it's uncrossable. Thanks!

mtnhiker13

Re: Vallecito - Water Crossing

by mtnhiker13 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 am

The Vallecito Trail is heavily used, wide enough to accomodate horses, llamas and multitudes of people. The crossing for the Johnson Creek trail to Columbine Pass is a nice, convenient, very large and stable bridge. Have fun!

The following user would like to thank mtnhiker13 for this post
WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies

by WalksWithBlackflies » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:10 am

Thanks mtnhiker13, but I'm looking for conditions at the crossing a couple miles south of the Johnson Creek trail intersection. When I was there last summer, there was no bridge at this crossing point because an avalanche wiped it out.

Westcliffe Willie

by Westcliffe Willie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:10 pm

If you don't get any first hand response, try these:

Ranger Station out of Bayfield---(they're the closest) 970 884 2512 or out of Del Norte 719 657 3321

The following user would like to thank Westcliffe Willie for this post
WalksWithBlackflies

Kane

by Kane » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:00 am

Are you going for Sunlight Basin? My run-off observation for the San Juans this year pertaining to the Silverton area is the snowpack is about 8-14 days behind a typical year.

The following user would like to thank Kane for this post
WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies

by WalksWithBlackflies » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 pm

FYI... The ranger at Bayfield said the creek is at normal levels and the snowpack has melted.

Kane - My primary goal is Oso via Roell Creek, then possibly Sunlight Basin, Jupiter via Hazel Lake, or Eolus/Windom/Sunlight from Chicago Basin (via Johnson Creek).

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:59 am

Even late in the year, the Vallecito can be a formidable body of water. At Roell Creek, which is far down the fall line, it will have considerable force even this late in the year. Consider your crossing spot carefully.

Another former SPer climbed Oso via Irving Creek a number of years back. I advised him that the terrain would be very, very steep and choked with deadfall. This was exacly the case. He managed to climb Mount Oso, but it beat him up pretty good. I'd be surprised if Roell was any different.

Oso is surprisingly loose, so don't be too surprised at the loose rock. Lost Lake sits in a tight valley that sees very little sun throughout the year, and like much of Oso, snow is known to linger there a long time. Much of Oso's snow persists year round. This late in the year, it will be old, hard snow. Hopefully you can get around it safely, but to increase your chances at success, appropriate gear might be a good idea. If the snow is not there, there's been enough to grind up that terrain beneath it over the ages. Expect very loose terain while gaining the saddle. Above the saddle are lots of huge, topsy turvy rocks. Expect everything on this mountain to move. Oso means "Bear" (in Ute, I believe), and this is indeed bear country. Proceed accordingly.

Not to sound discouraging, I just want you to go informed and prepared so you're successful. I'll be curious to hear how your trip goes. Shoot me a PM when you get back!

EDIT: The map illustrates the trail being on the east side of the Vallecito at Roell Creek, and Google Earth supports this. I studied the terrain going up te drainage closely. Expect some downfall, but not perhaps as bad as Irving Creek. Steep terrain will certainly be encountered, and lots of brush around Roell Creek. It looks tight in there, so expect to do battle with lots of flora and perhaps plan on getting very wet. Let me know what you encounter!

Return to Colorado