Waking up sweaty after long hike?

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
Luciano136

Waking up sweaty after long hike?

by Luciano136 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:26 pm

After a long day in the mountains, I usually fall asleep easily but I often wake up a few hours later drenched in sweat. This is pretty annoying since it ruins your night of sleep and you get to change your sheets. Sometimes it occurs a second time as well. Does anyone know why this happens and how to prevent it? I hardly ever get this on regular nights or after an easier outing.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:14 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:You take on these monster days in the mountains if I remember correctly?

its your body working over time to repair the damage, perhaps?

If it happens every time you should get it checked out in case you're doing something bad to your kidneys?

I feel like shit, typically day 2, after a really big day in the mountains; mentally as well as physically. Really hammers me psych-wise. Maybe you're just having bad dreams.
DMT

Nothing too crazy but 10-12h days happen. This last weekend I sprained my ankle and was out for 13 hours. I was definitely a little dehydrated (finshed my camelbak + 1 small gatorade) and didn't eat all that much all day.

Would one's body recovering cause the sweating? I actually had it two nights in a row now. I was like WTH?!? Makes for a rough day at work.

No bad dreams btw :)

Lockhart

by Lockhart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:40 pm

You may want to get your thyroid checked if it persists or gets worse. A big day in the mountains may be enough for it to go hyper, and your body isn't slowing down fast enough by the time you go to bed. Checking your heart rate in the middle of the night may give you a good general indication.

I think I know what you are talking about (and my problem was very similar). Waking up more tired after a 12-hour day makes work hard (and isn't good for you, either). Something to keep in mind.

You may want to try to make an effort relaxing post mountain day - something to tell your body to slow down. A long shower, big meal, beer, hot tub, movie, or whatever.

vancouver islander

Re: Waking up sweaty after long hike?

by vancouver islander » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Luciano136 wrote:After a long day in the mountains, I usually fall asleep easily but I often wake up a few hours later drenched in sweat. This is pretty annoying since it ruins your night of sleep and you get to change your sheets. Sometimes it occurs a second time as well. Does anyone know why this happens and how to prevent it? I hardly ever get this on regular nights or after an easier outing.

Very similar for me. After a 12-14 hour day I'm usually absolutely knackered - but almost always sleep badly that night. Adrenaline still pumping? Body chemistry in general in severe imbalance. The second night I'm usually in bed by 8, pass out by 8 and 1 second and sleep like a baby.

I wouldn't worry about it unless that second night's rest always fails to materialise.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:39 pm

I guess the body trying to repair itself might make sense, just like a fever when you're sick.

When I push it really hard, I would actually shiver after my shower, then get in bed and wake up sweating a few hours later.

gregorpatsch

by gregorpatsch » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:44 pm

Could be sun exposure. After a full day in the sun, I feels like the heat is radiating back out of my skin while I'm sleeping. Feel like it takes all night to cool off.

mrh

by mrh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:16 pm

I have had this problem at times as well. Sounds like its not uncommon. The symptoms for me are the same as when I'm sick. Whether its physical fatigue and wear from cold or heat a person can weaken their system and experience related illness. I have found an extremely difficult day in the mountains will often give me symptoms of being sick, especially excessive sweats at night.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:21 pm

Well, at least it's good to hear that I'm not alone. Did anyone find a good way of limiting this as much as possible? I try to drink as much as I can afterwards but that might just help the rehydration... I once read that drinking low fat chocolate milk is a pretty effective way to recover your body?

Smoove910

by Smoove910 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:34 pm

I 2nd the 'too much sun exposure'. All I can add is ensure you are making yourself drink even when you aren't thirsty. Same with food, make sure you are providing fuel for yourself througout the hike rather than only at 'dinnertime'. I've found that when I stay hydrated and fueled, I feel extremely well the following day.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Finally a normal night of sleep again. Guess my body was mad at me after all :D

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:58 pm

stop using a winter sleeping bag. :twisted:

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:30 pm

tigerlilly wrote:stop using a winter sleeping bag. :twisted:

LOL Trust me, August in Socal, I don't :D

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:52 pm

goldenhopper wrote:Night sweats after excessive exercise are commonly associated with a depletion of glycogen stores. You're very sensitive to your insulin after an overly taxing day and if you did not eat enough good quality carbs over an extended period of time, then eat a large meal without adequate proteins and or too many simple carbs you could end up in a hypoglycemic state. Since the body (to protect the brain) does not easily allow you become hypoglycemic, you begin producing excessive adrenalin (and other hormones) to stimulate the liver to produce more sugar. These sweats can last a while until your system normalizes.

I would as mentioned previously have your thyroid checked out. Also might be a good Idea to be on the safe side to see if you are diabetic/pre-diabetic; especially if it runs in the family.

Diabetes definitely does not run in my family. Now, if your body normalizes after one night, is there still reason for concern?

I had a physical done last year actually; all was normal, except for cholesterol?!

Are you in the medical field by any chance, since this seems like a really good explanation :)

On a side note, in the event I did not eat enough during my exercise, what is the best way to limit the damage when I finally sit down for dinner? Any foods that are highly recommended?

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:22 pm

goldenhopper wrote:
How do you eat when on the hike/climb? You might want to try avoiding/limiting simple sugars (candy, dried fruit etc.) and replace them with complex carbs and some good lean protein and see if you feel better.

Dr. Hop 8)

Thanks for the tips! 95% of the time, it's only the night of the outing and only if it was hard/long. This past weekend, I do know I didn't eat enough. I did well till about noon but didn't eat much anymore after that.

I usually eat whatever tastes good. Common items I bring are fig nutens (spelling?), beef jerky, rice krispy treats, potato chips, sometimes cookies. So, pretty much junk food LOL

donhaller3

by donhaller3 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:31 am

On the diabetes issue: Just check it, Type II isn't going to limit you that much. Just check it. ( may not limit you at all with your lifestyle.)

Don

Next

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue