WANTED! Wild Country Forged Friends

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
effectsofaltitude

WANTED! Wild Country Forged Friends

by effectsofaltitude » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:20 pm

Anyone have any of these rigid stemmed relics lying around, that they would care to part with?

I am sure that there must be someone out there that has since replaced them with new sexy flexy active pro, and has a set collecting dust in their museum.

I understand that I am going to take some major heat for saying this, but I happen to like them (and not just for their nostalgia). Bomber gear if you ask me.

Shoot me a PM if have anything you'd like to unload.

Thanks!

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:13 pm

Mine are over 20 years old. I'll give 'em up when they are pried from my cold, taped, dead hands, bawa ha ha ha. I still love 'em, despite the sexy flexy newer units out there. Good luck in your quest. Try ebay or craigslist?

effectsofaltitude

by effectsofaltitude » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:57 pm

i dont blame you for wanting to keep them.

i dont have a full set, but would like to fill in the ones i dont have, and maybe double up on a few others.

i dont really use active pro all that much, so i want to stick with the cam that i know and trust. im pretty old school with my gear selection (mostly nuts, hexes, and tricams). it always amazes me to see people out there who carry nothing but cams.... their trad rack consists of nothing but BD camelots #'s 0.5-4 (with a couple of off-widths thrown in for good measure).

but hey... to each his own, right?

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:33 am

I suspect that you are looking for the “modern” Forged Friends.

I still have a number of the original variety:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/ ... iends2.jpg

Last September I took a 30 foot fall on one and it held just fine. It is retired and on the wall in my office, but I will continue to use the others…

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=559419

Trip Report:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/5 ... -peak.html

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:26 am

Great tale, Fred, and glad you came out relatively unscathed. I have some of my old forged friends slung with "Gunks" tie-offs to prevent tweeking the stem when placing them in horizontal or slanting cracks.

effectsofaltitude

by effectsofaltitude » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Fred... im glad you shared that story. i always appreciate it when people write trip reports where things DONT go their way (i can relate to those stories better, i guess. nothing ever goes my way).

wow.... this is really the opposite of what i was expecting. i thought for sure, that i would have received at least ten responses from people telling me "how the forged stem would shear off, if i even looked at it funny," as people often comment when they see my "vintage" rack.

instead, i have you stingy bastards :D , telling me how great they are, and that you would never get rid of them.

i have tried ebay, and found that people try to get way too much for their used gear (80% of retail).... and dont ever type in the word "rigid" anything on craigslist.... trust me.

nattfodd

Re: WANTED! Wild Country Forged Friends

by nattfodd » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:29 pm

effectsofaltitude wrote:Anyone have any of these rigid stemmed relics lying around, that they would care to part with?

I am sure that there must be someone out there that has since replaced them with new sexy flexy active pro, and has a set collecting dust in their museum.

I understand that I am going to take some major heat for saying this, but I happen to like them (and not just for their nostalgia). Bomber gear if you ask me.

Shoot me a PM if have anything you'd like to unload.

Thanks!

I've seen them sold new last week in one of the London climbing stores (Rock On, next to the Mile End gym).

pu

by pu » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:18 am

Craigslist for spokane washington. There is a whole set for sale cheap. they look to be in good shape.

tallsailor

by tallsailor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:21 am

What sizes do you need? Rock and Roll Sports in Gunnison, CO has about 3 of them in the corner of their climbing gear wall that haven't sold yet. One is the largest silver, one is the small purple, and there may be one more. Don't remember what numbers they are, my rack isn't at hand. (Yes, almost all of my cams are FF's. Cheap when I was a poor teenager.)

Mark Straub

by Mark Straub » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:03 pm

I've got some. They are the "newer" forged friends with anodized cam lobes. All are in working condition and smooth. I have a 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, and 1.75. I'll sell them for $18 each.

-Mark

Return to Gear